Translate to Your Language
Maritime Engineering, Seafaring, Maritime & Logistics Management, and Vocational Education and Training (VET) Programs in Launceston
The Australian Maritime College (AMC) is an internationally recognized maritime and marine tertiary education institution based in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia and is part of the University of Tasmania (UTAS). AMC is Australia's national center for maritime education, training and research. It has two campuses located within 31 miles of each other in Northern Tasmania, each with different facilities and residence.
The University of Tasmania (UTAS) is one of Australia’s original ‘sandstone’ universities. It is the fourth oldest in the country, and remains the only university in Tasmania. The original University was born on 1 January 1890 - founded by an Act of the Tasmanian Parliament. The University remains a highly regarded tertiary institution across national and international benchmarks. Formal links with other universities outside Australia bear witness to the University of Tasmania’s international standard and reputation. The University now has a large number of links and associations in Asia, as well as North America, the UK and Europe.
At AMC you’ll be taught by industry leading experts and have access to some of the best facilities in the world. AMC can give you the necessary experience and skills to work anywhere you choose in the global maritime and marine industries. The lecturers are from a wide range of backgrounds including industrial positions, ship operations, marine science, maritime management, small vessel design and operation.
AMC has three national centers, each focusing on a different aspect of the maritime and marine industries. The national centers are: The National Centre for Maritime Engineering and Hydrodynamics; The National Centre for Ports and Shipping; and The National Centre for Marine Environment and Resource Sustainability.
Academic & Training Programs
Maritime Engineering Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Engineering (4 years): The four-year Bachelor of Engineering degrees are accredited by Engineers Australia, the Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) and the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST). Based at our Newnham campus, you’ll have access to our world-class teaching and research. Areas of study include - Marine and offshore Systems, Ocean Engineering, and Naval Architecture.
- Bachelor of Engineering 2+2 Programs: AMC’s collaboration with Flinders University in South Australia, Edith Cowan in Western Australia and Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand allows students to make use of the strengths of two institutions. Students will spend the first two years of study at the relative institution, while the final two years of the degree will be completed at AMC capitalizing on AMC’s unique maritime focus and its wide variety of specialist programs.
- Co-operative Engineering Program (5 years): Students undertaking Maritime Engineering degrees can elect to enroll in AMC’s Co-operative Engineering Program. Students alternate periods of full-time study with periods of full-time employment in industry. These periods of paid work with industry employers give students the opportunity to work under the supervision of professional engineers.
- More on Maritime Engineering (Bachelor of Engineering) Programs/Courses offered
Ocean Seafaring Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Applied Science Programs (4-4.5 years): If you intend to embark on a career as a navigating (Deck) Officer and Master on commercial vessels, or interested in pursuing a career as a Marine Engineer Officer on commercial vessels, or interested in becoming a Marine Electro-Technical officer, these programs are for you. Area of specializations includes - Nautical Science, Marine Engineering, and Marine Electrical Engineering.
- More on Ocean Seafaring Programs/Courses offered
Maritime Business and Logistics Programs
- Bachelor of Business (Maritime and Logistics Management) , Bachelor of Applied Science (Maritime Technology Management) & Diploma and Associate Degree Pathway Programs: The Maritime Business and International Logistics programs prepare you for management and senior administrative careers in private enterprise, industry and government. . With an option of pursuing diplomas, associate or bachelor’s degree, the management program provides students the qualifications and training need to work in specialist areas such as supply chain and logistics or in more general areas such as international trade and maritime business.
- More on Maritime Business and International Logistics /Courses offered
Seafaring Vocational Education and Training (VET)
- Vocational Education and Training (VET): VET is part of tertiary education which provides accredited training in job related technical skills. Qualifications range from Certificate II to Certificate IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma. The training courses vary from short Certificate II courses through to Diplomas. Each of our programs meets the competency requirements as specified by the National Standards for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) and are approved by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA). Upon completion of our courses, you will be issued a Certificate of Competency, which is nationally recognized.
- More on Seafaring Vocational Education and Training
Postgraduate (Masters) & Research Degree Programs
- Postgraduate Degree Programs including Graduate Certificate & Diploma: The Postgraduate degrees are normally undertaken after a foundation of undergraduate study and work experience. The programs emphasize the application of relevant business theories and techniques practiced in the logistics and maritime transport industries. AMC offers postgraduate opportunities in the following areas - Maritime Business & International Logistics, Engineering, and Seafaring.
- Research Programs: Through this higher degree by research programs, you’ll undertake your own creative work in a systematic way. This is supported by a globally recognized marine and maritime-related research institution with multi-million-dollar specialist research facilities utilized by companies and governments worldwide. Graduate research opportunities are delivered by the following areas - Maritime Engineering, Ports & Shipping.
- More on Postgraduate & Research Degree Programs
As an AMC student you will have access to world class training and research facilities at the Launceston and Beauty Point campuses. These include a fleet of vessels, maritime simulations centre, engineering workshops, firefighting and damage control centers along with more specific tools such as the Towing Tank, Model Test Basin and Aquaculture Center. Many of the facilities are used not only for teaching and research but by maritime and marine industries and allied companies which means as a student or graduate you will have access to work experience and possible employment opportunities with these companies.
- Campus: AMC has two campuses and a Fire Fighting Center all located in Northern Tasmania, Australia. The main campus is based in Launceston and situated beside the University of Tasmania at Newnham on the Tamar River. The second campus, based at Beauty Point about 28 miles north of Launceston delivers courses in vessel operations and the training vessels FSV Bluefin, Stephen Brown, Skipjack and Riveresco are moored here. The AMC Marine Firefighting Center is a purpose built facility located at Bell Bay about 25 miles north of Launceston city and is used for fire training education for students and staff.
- Accreditation: AMC degrees are fully accredited, just like other Australian universities as it is a part of University of Tasmania, a public university. This accreditation is recognized by the Washington Accord and by: Engineers Australia; US, Canada, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Russia (Over 30 countries in all); Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (UK); and The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) (UK).
- Maritime Transport Policy Center: The center’s role is to provide independent advice to governments and the maritime industry on maritime transport policy and related issues. To achieve its brief, the MTPC consults widely with government and industry; it conducts and facilitates political, economic, social, technical, legal and environmental analysis.
- AMC Search: AMC Search is a specialized, client focused organization, providing maritime related training and consultancy for a wide range of international and Australian organizations and individuals.
- Career Opportunities: Top jobs are available in Australia, Europe, USA, UK and Asia designing and managing huge installations for the offshore oil and gas industry. There are careers specializing in coastal engineering, underwater vehicles, and port and harbor design. For those interested in boats, the Australian high speed ferry industry also offers rewarding careers. Naval Architects are in demand in companies that design and build leisure craft, sailing and power yachts and marine surveying.
- Career Development: The Service can help you to clarify important career issues and assist you with your career decisions and provide many services to support you to take charge of your future. Utilizing both web-based material and face-to-face services, you can seek information on things such as employment, education, further study, job search training and graduate recruitment.
- Housing: Living on campus has become a rite of passage for many students, and AMC offers accommodation solutions that will suit everybody and has flexible catering options to suit all budgets, or cook for yourself in one of the self-catering kitchens.
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 21, 2017