Marine Engineering, Boatbuilding and Superyacht Programs & Apprenticeships and Short Courses in Cornwall
Falmouth Marine School provides a comprehensive selection of courses from introduction to university level in Boatbuilding, Leisure & Watersports, Marine Engineering and Marine Science. As a result of the specialization the FE and university-level courses attract students from a wide age range across the UK.
The school has an excellent international reputation for the marine courses with superb facilities including boatbuilding and engineering workshops, a dedicated marine science lab and a well equipped watersports centre.
The research unit of the Falmouth Marine School allows students to participate in original research and gain a greater understanding of the marine systems they intend to work in. It actively develops links with other organizations. The Annual Industry Day held every December puts students in contact with employers and promotes their chances of employment in the field of their choice.
- HNC/FdSc Operational Yacht Science (Level 4, 1 year): This program is designed for those who aspire to be the future crew, bosuns officers and captains of the superyacht sector. It is designed to run alongside relevant Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) awards, to give deeper knowledge and understanding of the topics, and to give you more choice and an edge for your future career choices. It is run in partnership with UKSA in Cowes, Isle of Wight, as part of their Professional Yacht Cadetship.
Marine Engineering Programs
- Marine Engineering Diploma (Level 2, 1 year): This one-year program will give you an excellent insight into the inner working of marine engines and propulsion systems. You will also learn basic marine electrics, hydraulics and gain knowledge on construction principals and engineering processes related to the marine industry.
- Marine Engineer Apprenticeship (Level 3, 1-2 years): This apprenticeship is ideal if you would like to install, maintain, fault find and repair marine engines, ancillary systems and equipment, on yachts, commercial craft and superyachts. You will learn how to design and produce solutions to meet boat layouts, restrictions and engineering requirements.
- Engineering Technologies Diploma (Level 3, 1 year): The units studied include Computer Aided Design, Pattern Development and Maintenance of Mechanical Systems. Ship Building Operations will develop the knowledge of the boat builder and the engineer, upskilling them in the issues that the sheer scale of a ship imposes on its build and function.
- Boatbuilding Diploma (Level 2, 1 year): This one-year foundation course will give you a great start towards a career as a Boatbuilder; you will learn about the working environment, the different shapes and designs of boats, the various materials used in boat construction, the numerous components, fittings and systems that go into traditional and modern constructed vessels and the specific terminology used in the marine industry.
- Boatbuilding Diploma (Level 3, 1 year): This one-year advanced course will give you the knowledge and skills required to move directly into the industry as a Boatbuilder; you will learn about the working environment, the shape and designs of boats, the materials used in boat construction, the numerous components and systems that go into traditional and modern constructed vessels and the specific terminology used in the marine industry.
- Diploma In Boatbuilding, Restoration And Repair (Level 3, 1 year): This one-year intensive, advanced course will give you the knowledge and skills required to move directly into the industry as a Boatbuilder; you will learn about the working environment, the shape and designs of boats, the materials used in boat construction, the numerous components and systems that go into traditional and modern constructed vessels and the specific terminology used in the marine industry.
- Marine Diesel Motor Maintenance (Professional Qualification, 3 weeks): This short course is suitable for individuals wishing to learn how to maintain and service their own diesel engines. You will look at the principles of the diesel engine, the four-stroke cycle, fuel, cooling, air and engine electrical systems, fault finding and the importance of winterisation and servicing.
- Marine Outboard Motor Maintenance (Professional Qualification, 4 days): This 4 day course is designed to introduce people into basic maintenance and servicing of outboard engines from 4hp to 70hp 2 stroke and 4 stroke.
- Outboard Engine Servicing (Professional Qualification, 9 hours part time): This course is practical based, in our bespoke marine engineering workshops at Falmouth, suitable for individuals wishing to maintain and service their own outboard engines. You will work on outboard engines, general servicing, fault finding, routine checks, cleaning & greasing, electrics, fuel and lubrication systems, propeller chain.
- Watersports Instructor Diploma (Level 2, 1 year): This is a unique course which prepares students for a career in watersports and the wider outdoor industry. This course is perfect for anyone that has an interest in sports, especially the outdoors.