MCA/RYA/PYA Approved Yacht, Hospitality, Engineering, Watersports & Other Maritime Training in Cowes, Isle of Wight
UK Sailing Academy (UKSA) is a charity dedicated to changing lives through personal development and maritime education. UKSA aspires to provide the very best quality maritime education and the widest range of opportunities to develop self-esteem, confidence and motivation. Whatever your age, or motivation for change, a career in yachting offers a unique working environment with an unparalleled opportunity and variety of work.
With over 16 years of refinement, UKSA’s career training programs are proven to equip you with the practical skills, knowledge and qualifications to ensure your success working worldwide on yachts and motor yachts of every size. These programs are approved by MCA, Royal Yachting Association (RYA), PYA etc.
As part of the charitable remit, UKSA offers a range of leisure sailing and watersports courses aimed at improving personal enjoyment of a wide variety of sports afloat during recreational leisure time. Courses on offer take the form of 1-9 day residential programs and include all the necessary food accommodation, and use of personal safety equipment.
Superyacht & Yachting Career Courses
- Superyacht Cadetship (4 years): Designed in consultation with the MCA, the Superyacht Cadetship combines the most relevant training and mentoring in the industry. It equips graduates with a strong foundation of knowledge alongside offering a realistic understanding of what it takes to succeed in a career in the Superyacht industry. The four-year program is a career path to STCW II/1 Officer of the Watch (Yacht <3000GT) and progressing to the STCW II/2 Master (Yacht <3000GT) qualification. Cadets also have the opportunity to undertake a Foundation Degree in Operational Yacht Science during phase 1 and 3 of the Superyacht Cadetship, awarded by Plymouth University. This option provides additional career and training pathways into different sectors in the maritime industry.
- Superyacht Crew Training (19 days): UKSA’s Superyacht Crew Training course is the perfect springboard into the superyacht industry. Thanks to our expert tuition, purpose-built site and ALL-INCLUSIVE, intensive training package, you can start your career in the superyacht industry after just 19 days at UKSA, armed with the qualifications and skills you need.
- Edmiston Superyacht Crew Training (5 weeks): UKSA have partnered with world renowned yacht broker Edmiston, to develop a truly unique program. Designed to support diversity in the industry, this course is a great starting point to begin a career at sea with Edmiston. The Edmiston Superyacht Crew Training course has been created in partnership to meet the growing demand for diverse, well-trained professional crew. It will provide you with the essential training you need to complete prior to starting work as a deckhand or crew member onboard an Edmiston managed superycaht.
- Superyacht Hospitality Training (3 weeks): Superyacht Hospitality course is a unique program designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to work as a steward/stewardess in the fast-growing superyacht sector. You will be trained by our highly experienced, expert team to deliver exceptional levels of service and will leave fully appreciating the attention to detail expected onboard 7-star luxury vessels.
- Professional Yachtmaster Offshore (16 weeks): UKSA’s highly regarded Yachtmaster opens up the most opportunities for employment within the maritime sector. These opportunities include, but are not limited to, working on superyachts, flotilla, tug boats, and employment in the Merchant Navy.
MCA Deck Officer Training & Certification
- MCA Officer of the Watch - Master (Code Vessels <200gt) OOW (Yachts <500gt): This generic MCA certificate of competency allows seafarers to become a captain of any vessel less than 200gt.This includes work boats and wind farm support vessels.
- MCA Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) Course: To work as an Officer on watch for vessels up to 3000gt, you’ll need to hold an Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) Certificate of Competency.
- MCA Chief Mate (Yachts less than 3000gt): The Chief Mate (Yachts <3000gt) Certificate of Competency (CoC) is an endorsement of the Officer of the Watch (Yachts <3000gt) CoC. This qualification demonstrates you have the knowledge, skills and experience to work as a Chief Mate.
- MCA Master (Yachts less than 500gt/3000gt): Before you can obtain the Certificate of Competency, you will be required to complete a number of Master (Yacht) and MCA Ancillary courses before you can sit the Master (Yachts less than 500gt/3000gt) Certificate of Competency oral examination.
STCW Safety Training
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Elementary first aid
- Personal Survival Techniques
- STCW Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention
- Advanced Fire Fighting course
- Proficiency for Persons in Charge of Medical Care on Board Ship
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid
STCW Update Training
- Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques
- Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- Approved Engine course (AEC)
- Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
- GMDSS General Operators Certificate (GOC)
- Ship Security Officer
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties PDSD
Leadership & Management (HELM)
- Human Element, Leadership and Management (Management Level)
- Human Element, Leadership and Management (Operational Level)
Practical Yachting Courses
- RYA Start yachting
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Practical Course
- RYA Coastal Skipper Course
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Prep & Exam
- RYA Cruising Instructor Course
RYA Online Courses
- RYA Essential Navigation & Seamanship
- RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR)
RYA Shorebased Courses
- RYA Day Skipper
- RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Course
- RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
- RYA Radar
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- Powerboat & Personal Watercraft Courses
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course
- RYA Safety boat
- RYA Personal Watercraft proficiency
- Dinghy Sailing courses
- Powerboat & Personal Watercraft courses
- Instructor & Endorsement courses
- Plus more..
LAST UPDATED ON Nov 24, 2020