STCW and Superyacht Courses, RYA Yachting Courses and Other Training Programs in Cowes, Isle of Wight
Established in 1995, Flying Fish provides maritime and recreational training which leads to qualifications and certificates from internationally recognized awarding authorities. The in-house trainers at Flying Fish deliver courses in yachting, powerboating, dinghy sailing, and windsurfing and, in the UK for STCW commercial maritime qualifications.
Flying Fish UK was established in 2003 in Cowes Isla of Wight, setting up the UK sailing school as a Royal Yachting Association (RYA) training centre where you can learn to sail in Cowes. They specialize in four areas, providing training, adventure and job opportunities to our customers who are looking for a new career, these are - Watersports Training (Windsurfing, Dinghy sailing and Diving); Professional Yachtmaster Training; Superyacht Deck and Stewardess training; and Gap year adventures
- Superyacht Deckhand Course (2 weeks): Superyacht Deckhand Course includes all the skills and qualifications you need to start your new career. The course starts with STCW Basic Safety Training, VHF Radio and PDSD (for crew with any security role on board). The second phase of the course is designed around the role of a Deckhand, to teach you your role on board. During this week you will cover everything from rope work to wash downs, cleaning and repairing teak.
- Superyacht Steward or Stewardess Course (2 weeks): Superyacht Steward/ess course provides the mandatory STCW Basic Safety training course as well as a whole host of skill and qualifications needed to begin your career on a Superyacht. The course prepares you for life onboard, we will teach you everything from Napkin folding to driving a Powerboat.
- Superyacht Interior Course (5 days): The Steward or Stewardess is on the frontline when it comes to delivering outstanding service to guests and owners. Having a full understanding of your role and the confidence in delivering that unique experience onboard requires special skills and a lot of practice. This course is suitable if you already hold your STCW Basic Safety Training qualifications and are looking for some additional knowledge and training on the role of a Steward or Stewardess.
- Personal Watercraft Course (PWC) (1 day): The RYA Personal Watercraft Course is required if working onboard a Superyacht. This course forms part of our Superyacht Deckhand and Steward/ess programs, having the qualification allows you to drive the Jet Skis which are often found onboard a luxury yacht.
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) (1 day)
- STCW Basic Safety Training Course (1 week)
- STCW Refresher Course (4 days)
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques (1 day)
- STCW Elementary First Aid (1 day)
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (2.5 days)
- Yachtmaster Power Prep Course (1 week)
- Yachtmaster Power Theory and Practical (2 weeks)
- RYA Yachtmaster Theory (1 week)
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities Online (PPR) (1 day)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course (2 days)
- VHF Radio Course (1 Day)
LAST UPDATED ON Nov 24, 2020