Marine Transportation, Power Technology and QMED Training including USCG Licensing Programs in Juneau & Ketchikan, Alaska
The University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) is a regional university of the University of Alaska statewide system of higher education. Its main campus is located in Juneau, and the extended campuses in Juneau and Ketchikan.
Founded in 1987 with the restructuring of the former University of Alaska Juneau, Ketchikan Community College and the Islands Community College (Sitka), University of Alaska Southeast serves the residents of Southeast Alaska with campuses in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka.
The University of Alaska Southeast Marine Transportation Department is based in Ketchikan and offers maritime classes in Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka and outlying communities.
The department serves students who seek a deck department career path, from entry level to deck officer, with US Coast Guard approved instruction. The department also offers coursework for individuals wishing to advance their personal knowledge and skills related to vessel operation and navigation.
Career Education programs meet the short-term training needs and long-term vocational, technical, and occupational needs and the programs provide specific job-related skills for employment, lifelong learning opportunities, and professional advancement that enable graduates to function effectively in a technology-dependent society.
Career Education Programs - Marine Transportation
- AAS in Marine Transportation: This degree provides a strong foundation to a maritime career. It prepares individuals to handle the responsibilities of a limited tonnage vessel officer or owner. Graduates who meet sea time and other U.S. Coast Guard requirements will be qualified to work as a Captain on vessels up to 200 Tons depending on previous onboard experience and electives chosen. Many of the courses in the program are offered over a one or two week period or via distance to accommodate working mariners or military personnel. A keystone of the program is completion of assigned projects relating to experience working onboard a vessel.
- Occupational Endorsement in Marine Transportation: Students who complete a minimum 9 credits of approved maritime instruction are eligible for an Occupational Endorsement in Marine Transportation. Occupational endorsements are programs of study designed to give students intensive training in a specific occupational field.
Career Education Programs - Diesel/Power Technology
- Associate Degrees in Power Technology with Emphasis in USCG Marine Oiler: This AAS degree is for students wanting to begin a career in marine transportation working in the engine room as an OILER. With successful completion of this degree, completion of a 6 month sea time internship, and a written USCG examination, students receive a USCG Merchant Marine Document (MMD Z-card). This qualifies them for employment in the engine rooms of large U.S. vessels.
- Occupational Endorsements in Power Technology with Emphasis in Marine Engine Room Preparation: This Occupational Endorsement is for students wanting to begin a career on large vessels working in the engine room as an USCG documented OILER. OILER is the qualified entry level position in the engine room. Those who complete the program may find employment with the state ferry system, private ferries, cruise ships, seafood processors, tug boats, or any other large sea going vessel.
- Occupational Endorsements in Power Technology with Emphasis in Diesel/Marine: This program is for the student who wants to work in the marine field of diesel powered vessels. The course content covers the different support systems on vessels as well as the diesel engine. All of the classes are at least 50% hands-on which lets the students practice their new skills.
- Maritime & Multi-Skilled Worker Program (12 weeks): The UAS Ketchikan Maritime & Multi-Skilled Worker program is a series of courses that leads to the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Oiler Credential - Qualified Member of the Engine Department QMED. The UAS Ketchikan Maritime & Multi Skilled Worker program is a United States Coast Guard approved class. This approval has significant advantages for seafarers seeking to upgrade their skills and credentials and for those seeking entry into the maritime field.