Summer Internships; Co-op Programs; Apprentice Programs; and Career Opportunities for Experienced Professionals in the Shipbuilding Industry
Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) designs, builds and maintains nuclear and non-nuclear ships for the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard and provides after-market services for military ships around the globe. For more than a century, HII has built more ships in more ship classes than any other US naval shipbuilder. Its primary business divisions are Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding.
Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) is a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries and the US’a sole-industrial designer, builder and refueler of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and one of the only two shipyards capable of designing and building nuclear-powered submarines. Ingalls Shipbuilding (IS) is a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries and has pioneered the development and production of technologically advanced, highly capable warships for the surface Navy fleet, US Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, and foreign and commercial customers.
Employing nearly 38,000 in Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana and California, HI is one of the largest employers to these states. Career in shipbuilding is a remarkable opportunity for anyone who is interested in this vast field. Launch a nuclear-powered submarine. Deliver the nation's newest National Security Cutter to the US Coast Guard. Repair and modernize aircraft carriers for the US Navy. These are just a few of the successes Huntington Ingalls Industries employees work toward every day.
HUNTINGTON INGALLS Career Opportunities
Shipbuilding Apprentice Programs
- Ingalls Shipbuilding Apprentice Program: If you are selected for the Apprenticeship Program, they will provide you the opportunity and the training required for you to succeed. You will earn excellent wages, while participating in a very intense training program to prepare you for your new career and provide you the knowledge to be productive in your new craft. During your development, you will attend the local Community College and take courses in related studies that help earn college credits toward an Associates Degree. This allows you to receive an education, build work ethic, gain experience and develop into a world class journeyman mechanic. You will achieve all this while working alongside some of the most skilled craftsmen in the world. More Information at this section - Ingalls Shipbuilding Apprentice Program
- Newport News Apprentice Program: The Newport News Apprentice School is an educational and career opportunity unlike any other. It provides high quality, comprehensive 4 and 5-year apprentice programs for students interested in shipbuilding careers. Since 1919, the programs have produced over 9,000 graduates in support of the operational needs of Newport News Shipbuilding. More Information at this section - Newport News Apprentice Program
- Summer Internship Program: Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) offers a summer internship program that provides meaningful summer employment to college students enrolled in degree programs that match the company's needs. Participants will work full-time, 40-hours per week, for 10 weeks during the summer months. HII considers its summer internship program a vital pipeline for fueling professional talent. The application period starts in early December through mid-February. The program is for US Citizens with minimum 3.0 GPA (based on 4.0 scale).
- Co-op Opportunities: : Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) Cooperative Education (Co-op) programs give college students the opportunity to combine the knowledge learned in the classroom with practical work experience. By gaining valuable work experience in Co-op programs, participants are able to better evaluate their future career opportunities. Ingalls Shipbuilding offers Co-op programs are with various Engineering Organizations; and Newport News Shipbuilding offers Co-op programs are in Information Technology Solutions & Supply Chain Management. The programs are for US Citizens with minimum 3.0 GPA (based on 4.0 scale). Area of study must be directly related to work performed in hiring area.
Candidates (not currently employed by HII) who have experience and are looking for a new and exciting opportunity at Huntington Ingalls Industries; and For candidates (not currently employed by HII) looking for hourly, manufacturing, production, or trades; can find several opportunities at the career website of HI from time to time in following areas:
- International Operations
- New Business Initiatives
- Advanced Development and Planning
- Contract and Pricing
- Engineering/Product Development
- Research and Development
- Supply Chain Management
- Technical Services/Operations
- Plus more..