Vacation Placements; Work Experience Program; Trade Apprenticeships; Engineering Graduate Training Program & Career Opportunities in Australia & US Shipyards
Established in 1988, Austal is a world leader in the design and construction of customized aluminum defense and commercial vessels, and is proud to list amongst its customers many of the world’s leading ferry operators and defense forces. With shipyards in Western Australia and the USA (Mobile, Alabama), Austal has delivered more than 220 vessels for customers around the world. Austal’s product range includes passenger and vehicle-passenger ferries, patrol boats, theatre support vessels, combat ships, multi-role vessels and luxury private live-aboards.
Austal is also an established provider of worldwide vessel maintenance and management services. It has diversified its product base through the acquisitions of Western Australian shipbuilding companies Image Marine and Oceanfast, and Canberra-based Australian Technology Information. Austal’s USA shipyard was established in late 1999, and is now one of the largest employers in the Mobile area.
Austal’s shipyard is Asia is located at Balamban, Cebu, Philippines; and the service centers around the world are located at Henderson, Western Australia; Fyshwick, ACT, Australia; Winellie, NT, Australia; Algeciras Cadiz, Spain; Sultanate of Oman; and Chaguaramas, Trinidad.
Austal's yard in Mobile, Alabama, established in 1999 delivers a new dimension in high-speed marine transport, utilizing the company's leading edge technology and design capabilities, not previously available to US customers. The Austal quality culture is embodied through significant inter-site transfer between the Mobile yard and the headquarters in Western Australia.
AUSTAL Career Opportunities
Austal Australia Opportunities
- Vacation Placements: Gain valuable experience and insight into the design and production processes of a large commercial and defense shipyard. Austal offers 12 week vacation placements in the areas of Structural Design (Naval Architecture), Mechanical Design and Electrical Design (mechatronics, control systems). To be eligible to apply you must have successfully completed the first 3 years of a Bachelor of Engineering Degree, be either a resident of Australia or hold a relevant work visa and have a strong interest in working at Austal at the completion of your studies.
- Work Experience: Austal provides Work Experience to high school students each year. This is a great opportunity for students to gain hands on trade related experience in the shipbuilding industry.
- Trade Apprenticeships: Austal has a long-standing commitment to developing and retaining world-class tradespeople, which is reflected in the award-winning training record. In Australia, Austal takes on an average of 30 new apprentices and trainees each year in the following disciplines: Aluminium Fabrication & Welding; Marine Fitout (Carpentry); Marine Fitting (Engineering); First Class Machining (Engineering) ; and Electrical Mechanics (Electrician).
- Engineering Graduate Training Program: As a Graduate Engineer with Austal you will be supported by engaging in the Graduate Training Program. The training program is designed to gain an understanding of the Austal build philosophies and assembly techniques, and is a great way for graduates to familiarize themselves with various personnel across the company. During the program you will utilize all of the design tools in areas such as software packages, regulatory frameworks, technical writing, optimization techniques, safety factors and quality control. To be eligible to apply you must have successfully completed a Bachelor of Engineering Degree and be either a resident of Australia or hold a relevant work visa.
- Opportunities for Experienced: There are opportunities in following areas: Fabrication; Engineering; Fitout (Interiors & carpentry); Electrical; Site Services; Structural Design; Electrical Design; Mchanical Design; Management; Project Management; Service; Sales & Marketing; Human Resources; Accounts & Finance; and Procurement.
Austal US Opportunities
- Apprenticeship Program: Twice annually, Austal invites around 100 people to join for a four year GI Bill and US Department of Labor accredited apprenticeship where you'll learn a valuable trade in Fabrication, Pipe, Electrical or Fitout. This paid training includes classroom and on-the-job learning, and will result in a journeyworker's license. There are a limited number of openings available for this program.
- Other Opportunities: You'll find a variety of challenging and satisfying jobs, including, but not limited to: Aluminum Welders and Fitters; Pipefitters and Welders; Marine Electricians; Marine Fitout; Engineers and Designers; and, Professional and Technical Support Personnel.
- Opportunities for Experienced: A sample list of some of the job opportunities available from time to time is listed below:
- Chief Naval Architect
- CNC Foreman
- Electrical Planner
- Fabrication Foreman
- Fabrication Technical Support
- Fitout Field Engineer
- Fitout Foreman
- Fitout Manager
- Fitout Planner
- Hydrostatic Pipe Tester
- JHSV Mechanical Manager
- Junior Structural Planner
- Logistics Analyst - Maintenance
- Logistics Analyst- Provisioning
- Mechanical Designer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Plus more