RYA IWH Courses / Assessment & Diesel Engine, Boat Maintenance, Boat Electrics, Plumbing and Other Courses in Kibworth, Leicestershire
Located at Kibworth in Leicestershire, Narrowboat Skills Centre (NSBC) provides narrowboating and helmsman courses in UK. The center provides training to all levels of expertise and has an experienced team with the ideal location and facilities including own dedicated training vessel.
Apart from training programs, NSBC also provides advice and guidance on how to acquire the best and also offer experience days aboard the dedicated training vessel, Gwendoline May, in order for you to get off to the best possible start when you either buy or hire your own narrowboat.
The helmsman courses typically take in swing bridges, road bridges, an aqueduct, wide locks, a tunnel, winding holes and occasionally the renowned Foxton staircase of narrow locks. As well as on-the-water training, Narrowboat Skills Centre offer shore-based courses in its dedicated classroom.
Starting with an expanded RYA recognized Diesel Engine & Boat Maintenance course, they also offer courses on Boat Buying, Fitting-Out, Living Aboard, Canal Cooking and Phil Speight’s renowned classes on signwriting and Roses & Castles.
RYA IWH Courses
- Helmsmans Course (2 days): The RYA Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course is for those new to boating or those boaters who feel that they need to brush up on their helmsmans skills.
- IWH Certificate Assessment Day (1 day): The IWH certificate Assessment Course is a day course is for those experienced boaters who feel that they do not require any further tuition but who wish to gain the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman’s (IWH) Certificate.
- Narrowboat Experience Day (1 day): A relaxed and informal one day course for anyone wanting to learn the basic narrowboating skills and for whom an IWH certificate isn’t an immediate priority.
- Diesel Engine and Boat Maintenance (2 days): This two day course is based on the RYA Diesel Engine Course expanded to cover all the essential boat maintenance tasks that can be completed by the average boater without the use of specialist tools.
- Boat Electric Systems (Design And Installation) (2 days): Aimed at those people who are keen to do some refitting work or a complete fit out of a sailaway the course offers a practical introduction to the design, materials, tools and techniques of projects that are within the reach of people who have little hands on experience of this type of work.
- Boat Plumbing Heating and Engine Installation (2 days): The course offers a practical introduction to all the skills necessary to design and install all of the plumbing, heating and engine installation on a narrowboat. Whenever possible we spend a high proportion of the course “on the tools” giving students a chance to improve their skills.
- Boat Fitting 1 Course (2 days): The course offers a practical introduction to all the skills necessary to achieve a fully lined-out boat from a bare shell. Whenever possible we spend a high proportion of the course “on the tools” giving students a chance to experience using a wide range of tools.
- Boat Fitting 2 Course (2 days): The course offers a practical introduction to all the joinery skills necessary to achieve a first class fit out. Whenever possible we spend a high proportion of the course “on the tools” giving students a chance to experience using a wide range of tools.
- RYA First Aid Course (1 day): The course covers many types of injury that can be sustained, including drowning, hypothermia, bleeding, wounds, and fractures and how to treat them. It covers the action to take in cases of illness like heart disease, choking, diabetes, strokes, shock. Many of these skills can make the difference to someone’s ongoing quality of life.