Masters Degree Programs in Logistics & Supply Chain and Intelligent Transport Systems in Loughborough and London
Founded in 1909 as a small technical institute Loughborough University (Lboro) is an institution of further and higher education located at Leicestershire, English Midlands of England, UK. It is a research-intensive university and often ranked among the top 20 in the UK. Many degrees are industry-sponsored and sandwich placements are available on more than 60% of the degrees offered. Loughborough University is also one of the top 20 universities targeted by large, graduate employers.
The attractive single-site campus provides an environment that is stimulating and supportive, offering first-rate facilities for both students and staff. In the Complete University Guide 2011 the university's departments were rated top ten in 15 subject groups.
The transport programs of the Transport Studies Group of Lboro University are recognized both internationally and nationally and, the Civil & Building Engineering department is part of one of the largest multi-disciplinary Engineering Faculties in the UK. The world-class teaching and research are integrated to support the technical and commercial needs of both industry and society.
Masters Degree Programs
- MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management (1 year full time): MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management will develop your understanding of modern logistics and supply chain systems and the range of managerial decisions related to the planning and operations of these. You will explore how human behavior influences the performance of operations processes and you will gain knowledge of a broad range of analytics techniques and develop strong modeling skills. During the summer you will undertake a supervised consulting or research project. Consulting projects address practical problems in organizations and provide you with an opportunity to apply the latest analytics tools to a real logistics or supply chain context.
- MSc Intelligent Transport Systems (1 year full time, 2-5 years part-time): This course provides you with a comprehensive understanding of how transport systems, sensor technologies, data analytics and research are combined to reshape infrastructure and transform vehicles. You will be taught to use state-of-the-art tools and methods to effectively and efficiently collect, analyse, represent and apply this new abundance of data to the transport system. This program is seeking accreditation by the Chartered Institution of Logistics and Transport (CILT) to ensure it offers professional registration opportunities for all graduates.
- Entry Requirements: A 2:1 hons degree (or equivalent international qualification) and a strong quantitative background is required. Degrees in engineering, mathematics, physics, economics, and business and management are particularly welcomed. Those without a first degree but with substantial work experience may be considered. Applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements.
For six consecutive years Loughborough University has been voted England’s Best Student Experience in the prestigious Times Higher Awards. It highlights the excellent community atmosphere, extra-curricular activities and societies, and the good environment on campus and around the University, as well as first rate sports facilities and good connections with industry. Loughborough has also been recognized in the Times Higher Awards over the years for its commitment to supporting students from abroad.
- Campus: Lying in the Borough of Charnwood, in the county of Leicestershire, Loughborough itself is a thriving large town. With its 437 acre campus, one of the largest in the UK, Loughborough University is less than two miles from the M1, close to East Midlands Airport and only 90 minutes by train from London St Pancras.
- Accreditation: Loughborough University is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. The Transport and Business Management program is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- Research: The results of the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), published in December, have confirmed Loughborough as one of the country's leading research universities. Loughborough submitted over 94% of its academic staff for assessment as part of the 2008 RAE – a rise of around 16% from the last RAE in 2001 and one of the highest returns of any university in the country.
- Placement & Internships: Placements are designed to meet the requirements of the University’s Diploma in Industrial or Professional Studies requirements. To be eligible for a placement you must be a Loughborough student looking to go on placement next year. Placements will last for one year. Graduate internships are supported by a development program organized by the University’s Staff Development Unit with additional input from Human Resources and the Careers and Employability Centre. Graduate internships run from 6 to 12 months.
- Housing: Each Residence Hall has a vibrant community with its own distinctive character offering you a safe and secure environment in which to live, study and enjoy. The Halls of Residence vary in style and size. Most residences are on campus, but all are conveniently situated for the campus and the town center.