Merchant Navy Programs for Freshers and Experiences Seafarers & Superyacht and Workboat Maritime Training in Birkenhead, UK
The LJMU Maritime Centre (formerly Lairdside Maritime Centre) is part of Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU). The University has an extensive maritime history with experience in the training and development of Maritime Professionals, Deck Officers and Marine Engineers, and the provision of Graduate and Postgraduate Degree courses in the Maritime and Transport Industries.
LJMU Maritime Centre currently provides the facilities to meet the training needs of the maritime industry. At the heart of the Centre is a ship-handling simulator that is amongst the most advanced in Europe and currently the only one in the UK with a 360° field-of-view visual system.
The center offers a full range of navigational and ship-handling courses with a high degree of realism. In addition, there are facilities for GMDSS radio courses and non-simulator courses as well as access to all LJMU maritime degree and non-degree programs.
Maritime Training Programs
- Chief Mate/DipHE Nautical Science - Chief Mate Unlimited, STCW Convention Regulation 11/2 (10 months): The program runs for three terms and is usually completed within ten months. The centre specializes in SQA teaching at Mates level and have excellent results against national pass rates and situated in the centre of Liverpool city and have a local MCA office for completion of oral examinations.
- UK Harbour Master Certificate (18 months): The only MCA-recognized Harbour Master Course that follows the National Occupational Standards for Harbour Masters, offered by LJMU for the UK Harbour Masters’ Association. This is a modern correspondence course comprising sixteen practical units with eighteen months to complete, followed by an oral examination conducted by serving harbour masters
- Bridge Resource Management - MCA Approved as per the STCW code section STCW A-II/2-3 (3 days): This course is aimed at masters and mates seeking to enhance their skills in effective bridge resource management procedures. The course is primarily designed to be offered over three days but can be extended to incorporate specific procedures required by a company. The aim of the training is to prepare delegates in effective bridge resource management procedures.
- Engine Room Management Centre (3 days): This course provides training in general ship-handling for masters and deck officers. It is also for those deck officers with limited hands-on ship maneuvering and handling experience prior to taking up their first command or converting to vessels with sophisticated or unusual maneuvering systems. Although more complex types will be referred to, the training concentrates on conventional single and twin screw vessels.
- Pilot Training (2 days): This course is tailor-made for existing pilots or seafarers up skilling to become pilots by providing them suitable ship-handling practice. The course can be tailored to suit candidate needs or by adding specific company requirements. Upon successful completion, all candidates will be issued with a course completion certificate.
Maritime Degree Programs
- Please check our Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) section