Nautical Science, Marine & Offshore Engineering, and Maritime, Port & Logistics Management Education at LJMU
Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) has a heritage dating back to 1825. It is the 10th largest UK University with over 24,000 students in Liverpool and a further 4,500 overseas. Over 80 countries are represented in LJMU’s student population. LJMU was awarded the 2005 Queen's Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education, the highest honor a British university can achieve.
LJMU is one of the leading research-active contemporary universities in the UK with the recent RAE 2008 results confirming World-leading and internationally-excellent research quality right across the Institution.
LJMU is also one of the top universities in the UK for links with business and industry. It is a leading university for entrepreneurship training and support for graduate start-up businesses.
LJMU has introduced a globally unique model of higher education with emphasis on work-related learning, skills development and employer engagement means that LJMU graduates are becoming some of the most sought after in the UK and overseas, equipped as they are with the real world’ skills that employers value and/or the knowhow to establish their own businesses.
Undergraduate Maritime Programs
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Management - Top Up (1 year full time): Completing the professionally accredited BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Management will ensure you enjoy excellent career prospects in this global industry. This Qualification is recognized by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers.
- BSc (Hons) Nautical Science - Top Up (1 year full time): Completing the BSc (Hons) Nautical Science Top up Degree will enable you to graduate as a Maritime professional to develop a career in the shore based Maritime sector. If the degree is completed alongside Mates certification, it will also allow you to return to sea in a management role.
- MEng (Hons) Marine and Mechanical Engineering (4years full time or 5 years with 1 year industrial placement): Completing the professionally-accredited MEng (Hons) Marine and Mechanical Engineering will enable you to graduate with a Masters-level qualification plus advanced level skills and experience that will boost your career prospects and future earning potential. This course is accredited by The Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- BEng (Hons) Marine and Mechanical Engineering with Foundation Year (4years full time or 5 years with 1 year industrial placement): The BEng (Hons) Marine and Mechanical Engineering and with Foundation Year is the ideal course if you are interested in this subject but lack the necessary qualifications to study it at degree level.
- BEng (Hons) Marine and Mechanical Engineering (3 years full time or 4 years with 1 year industrial placement): The professionally-accredited BEng (Hons) Marine and Mechanical Engineering offers you exciting paid placement opportunities plus the chance to transfer onto the MEng program, where you could secure a Masters-level qualification.
Postgraduate Maritime Programs
- MSc Maritime Operations Management (1 year full time): During your studies you will gain the tools to be an effective project manager of shipping operations. You will also have the option to study law, port security management, and risk and asset management.
- MSc Port Management (1 year full time): The program provides you with a rounded view of the management of ports and port terminals and the wider logistics industry. As part of the program you gain the tools to be an effective project manager of port operations.
- MSc International Transport, Trade and Logistics (1 year full time): This dynamic course will provide you with the tools to demonstrate a systematic and comprehensive understanding of knowledge relating to International Transport, Trade and Logistics.
- MSc Marine and Offshore Engineering (1 year full time): This MSc program provides the engineering skills and techniques you need to work as a specialist in the marine and offshore engineering field. The course combines substantial marine modules with mechanical engineering options to produce a bespoke skills learning set.
Maritime Research Programs
- MPhil /PhD in Maritime and Mechanical Engineering: You can study for an MPhil full time over one or two years or part time over two to four years. Progressing from an MPhil (and including MPhil registration), you can study for a PhD full time over 33 to 48 months or part time over 45 to 84 months. If you are taking a direct route PhD, you can study full time over two to three years or part time over three to six years.
LJMU is a vibrant university located at the heart of one of the UK’s most exciting cities. Awarded the European Capital of Culture 2008 in recognition of its rich history and cultural standing, Liverpool continues to go from strength to strength. With world class architecture and more listed buildings than any city outside London, Liverpool was awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in 2004. These inspiring surroundings are juxtaposed with Liverpool’s visible investment in an exciting future, as new developments and award winning structures reshape the city’s skyline
- Campus: LJMU is located at Liverpool, just 178 miles (286 km) from London and easily accessible by road and other modes of transport.
- Liverpool Maritime Academy: The Liverpool Maritime Academy is an international centre of excellence in maritime education and professional training and education. The Institute works collaboratively with industry and regulatory organisations.
- LJMU Maritime Centre: The LJMU Maritime Centre is part of LJMU and currently provides the facilities to meet the training needs of the maritime industry. The center offers a full range of navigational and ship-handling courses.
- Liverpool Logistics, Offshore and Marine (LOOM) Research Institute: Research in maritime logistics and freight transportation is managed under the aegis of LOOM and has made significant contributions to the modernisation and productivity of the marine industries.
- Accreditation: LJMU is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Many of the programs are recognized/Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers; the British International Freight Association, the Nautical Institute, the Institute of Export, the Chartered Institute of Insurance and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- Earn While You Learn: International student can work part time for up to 20 hours a week during each semester (subject to any visa restrictions) and for an unlimited time during vacations whilst at LJMU. The Workbank provides a free service to all LJMU students. They are easily located and based within the Students' Union, and will help you to find a wide range of suitable, paid employment opportunities.
- Professional Skills and Experience: As part of your degree studies you will also have the opportunity to become expert in up to eight graduate skills. These have been identified by LJMU in collaboration with employers as being applicable to a wide variety of professions and careers.
- Centre for Entrepreneurship: LJMU has established a dedicated Centre for Entrepreneurship to support students and graduates who want to set up their own businesses. Competition to win one of the Enterprise Fellowships is increasing year on year.
- Housing: For most new students, the best option in your first year at university is a bedroom in purpose-built student accommodation in Liverpool city-centre. LJMU has 3,500 bedrooms of this type and hence able to guarantee a bedroom to all new students who request one.