MCA-SQA STCW III/2 Written Examinations for Second Engineer Unlimited Certificate of Competency
MCA Second Engineer STCW III/2 Unlimied Written Exams are for seafarers to achieve the Second Engineer certificate of competency. The Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) offers examination services on behalf of the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). These exams conducted at frequent intervals throughout the year.
It is expected that from January 1, 2017 the Second Engineer and Chief Engineer academic examinations will be combined to form management examinations for each subject - Applied Mechanics, Applied Heat, Electrotechnology, Naval Architecture, Mathematics, Engineering, Systems and Ship Drawing, and Engineering Knowledge.
Please check below the exam schemes, passing marks and syllabus details for Second Engineer Unlimited STCW III/2 Written Examinations.
You may also read: UK MCA Certificate of Competency Requirements
SQA Engineering Written Exams
SQA Second Engineer Unlimited STCW III/2 Written Examinations
Exam Scheme & Passing Marks: To qualify for the Second Engineer Unlimied, III/2, Certificate of Competency, you must obtain a pass mark of at least 50% in all SQA Second Engineer academic examinations at this level. These are currently: Mathematics, Applied Mechanics, Applied Heat, Engineering Drawing, Electro-Technology and Naval Architecture.
- Applied Mechanics
- Applied Heat
- Engineering Drawing
- Naval Architecture
- Engineering Knowledge - General
- Engineering Knowledge - Motor
- Engineering Knowledge - Steam
SQA Second Engineer Unlimied STCW III/2 Written Exam Syllabus
- The engineering knowledge to be shown by candidates is that which is required for operation and maintenance of the machinery, equipment and ship structure usually in charge of the engineering officer. A candidate will also be required to understand the legal and management responsibilities of a certificated officer.
- Candidates should be well acquainted with machinery and boiler casualties which may occur at sea and be able to state how these can be prevented or remedied.
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Communication
- Drawing Equipment
- Assembly Drawings
- Calculus: Differentiation
- Calculus: Integration
- Electric and Electronic Components
- Electric Circuit Principles
- Electrical Machines
- Simpson's Rule
- Ship Stability
- Ship Resistance
- Admiralty Coefficients
- Fuel Consumption
- Ship Terminology
- Ship Construction
- Ship Stresses
- Ventilation and Drainage of Compartments
- Pressure, Temperature, Energy
- Heat Transfer
- Internal Energy, Thermodynamic systems. First Law of Thermodynamics
- Gas Laws, Displacement Work
- Ideal Cycles and IC Engines
- Air Compressors
- Working Fluids
- Nozzles and Steam Turbines
- Boiler Feed Densities
Second Engineer Unlimied STCW III/2 Written Examination Full Syllabus
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only. Please check with UK MCA for the accurate and latest information and detailed syllabus.