MCA SQA STCW 2010 Management Level III/2 Written Examinations for Second Engineer and Chief Engineer Unlimited Certificate of Competency
MCA Management Level (STCW III/2) Engineering Written Exams are for seafarers to achieve the Second Engineer and Chief Engineer certificate of competency. The Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) offers examination services on behalf of the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). These exams conducted at frequent intervals throughout the year.
To meet the STCW 2010, the MCA has made changes to the engineer academic structure, which means the Chief and Second Engineer exams no longer exist. The replacement is the single Management Level theoretical subjects and engineering knowledge (EK) exams.
Please check below the exam schemes, passing marks and syllabus details for Management Level (STCW III/2) Engineering Written Examinations.
You may also read: UK MCA Certificate of Competency Requirements
SQA Engineering Written Exams
Management Engineer STCW III/2 Unlimited Exams
Exam Scheme & Passing Marks: To qualify for the Management Engineer STCW III/2 Unlimited exams, you must obtain a pass mark of at least 50% in all SQA Management Engineer academic theoretical examinations at this level. These are currently: Applied Heat, Electro-Technology, Naval Architecture, Applied Mechanics and Engineering Knowledge.
- Applied Mechanics
- Applied Heat
- Naval Architecture
- Engineering Knowledge - General
- Engineering Knowledge - Motor
- Engineering Knowledge - Steam
SQA Theoretical Subjects Written Exam Syllabus
- Strength of Materials
- Resistive Direct Current (DC) Circuits.
- DC Transient Circuits.
- Construction and operation of 3 Phase Synchronous Alternating Current (AC) Generators.
- Balanced and unbalanced 3 Phase AC Circuits.
- Construction and operation of 3 Phase AC Motors.
- Construction and operation of AC Transformers.
- AC distribution load sharing.
- Use of electronics in marine applications.
- Stability and Trim
- Ship Stresses
- Ship Resistance
- Propellers and Rudders
- Individual and sequences of thermodynamic processes;
- Heat engine cycles;
- Single and multistage reciprocating compressors;
- Combustion of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels by mass and by volume.
- Heat transfer through thick cylinders, spheres, heat exchangers and insulated systems;
- Two phase steam systems and steam cycles;
- Steam flow through a nozzle;
- Steam turbines;
- Two phase refrigeration and heat pump cycles.
- The rules of Algebra
- Complex numbers
- Binary, Hexadecimal Number systems and Logic
- Calculus: Differentiation
- Calculus: Integration
Management Engineer STCW III/2 Unlimited Theoretical Subjects Syllabus
SQA Engineering Knowledge (EK) Written Exam Syllabus
- Candidates should have knowledge of current and emerging technologies, practises and operation techniques required for the operation and maintenance of machinery, equipment and ship structure
- Candidates are required to understand the legal and management responsibilities
- Candidates should be well acquainted with machinery and boiler causalities which may occur at sea and be able to state how these can be prevented or remedied.
The candidate to have knowledge of the following:
- Materials used in marine engineering and ship construction.
- Control, automation and alarm systems associated with marine equipment.
- Operation, testing and maintenance of auxiliary equipment and systems.
- Operation, testing and maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Operation, testing and maintenance of marine propulsion plant using steam as power.
- Operation, testing and maintenance of marine propulsion plant using internal combustion engines as power.
- Safety and security of the crew and vessel.
- Legal powers, responsibilities and administrative duties of a Chief Engineer.
- Vessel construction and maintaining seaworthiness.
Management Engineer STCW III/2 Engineering Knowledge (EK) Syllabus
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only. Please check with UK MCA for the accurate and latest information and detailed syllabus.