Subsea, Offshore, Oil & Gas, Energy and Renewables Engineering, Management, Law & Other Programs in Aberdeen
Founded in 1495, University of Aberdeen is a public research university in Aberdeen, Scotland and the fifth oldest university in the UK. Aberdeen is consistently ranked among the top 200 universities in the world with a community of 120 nationalities, 13500 students from undergraduate to doctoral level, including with 650 undergraduate degree programs. The University is divided into three Colleges and a number of schools, which teach everything from Accounting to Zoology.
The King's College campus in Old Aberdeen is the historic heart of the University. Other campuses and facilities include - Old Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Oceanlab and Cromarty. University of Aberdeen is ranked top 50 for Engineering and 37th in the Times Higher global rankings for international outlook.
It is ranked 55th out of 750 world universities for research performance (based on the proportion of research appearing in the top 10% of international journals) by CWTS Leiden Ranking 2015.
Also 76% of research assessed through the UK's Research Excellence Framework (REF14) is world leading or internationally excellent. Aberdeen is named as Scotland's safest University City (Complete University Guide) and the Library is in top 10 for spell-binding university libraries in the world (The Independent). Five Nobel Laureates are associated with the University of Aberdeen.
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Subsea Technology (5 years, full time): This degree offers students the chance to specialize in the Subsea Industry and develop skills specific to this area, whilst still following the hugely popular Mechanical Engineering degree. The first two years cover general Engineering, with elements of Chemical, Mechanical, Petroleum and Electrical/Electronics, as well as Civil. In the later years you specialize, following your chosen discipline in greater depth. You do not need to finalize your choice of specialization until you begin third year. It is possible to move between MEng and BEng and this can be accomplished at any point until the second half session of fourth year. Successful BEng candidates will be offered the chance to change to the MEng and there is no quota, meaning that if grade requirements are met that transfer is guaranteed.
Masters Degree Programs - Engineering
- MSc Global Subsea Engineering (13 months full time): The MSc Global Subsea Engineering program offers a unique opportunity for students to engage and learn in an internationally collaborative environment centered around two major energy hubs: Aberdeen, Scotland and Perth, Western Australia. The program provides an in-depth understanding of subsea infrastructure, construction and maintenance, subsea surveying and installation, safety and regulation. It has been designed to produce the career-ready engineers that the highly technical subsea industry requires. At the successful completion of the course students will be awarded a degree recognizing their study at both institutions.
- MSc Subsea Engineering (12 months full time, 27-30 months online): The MSc Subsea Engineering is widely regarded as one of the best program of its kind in the UK. The program is designed to prepare highly trained engineers for industry, by focusing on the fundamental skills and technical knowledge that are in demand by the subsea sector today. You will also learn to use and adapt appropriate analysis tools and techniques, specialist design software and standards for design improvements and performance optimization. In addition, you will have the opportunity to further enhance your transferable and personal skills in self-study, communication, report writing, project and time management, and problem solving.
- MSc Offshore Engineering (1 year full time, 27 months part time): Aimed at both practicing engineers and recent graduates, this program is designed to equip students with the skills needed to work in a wide variety of roles in the offshore engineering sector, including oil and gas and renewables. The program is designed to be accessible to applicants from a wide range of engineering disciplines such as civil, petroleum or mechanical engineering, but also electrical and electronic engineers interested in a career in subsea controls.
- MSc Oil and Gas Engineering (27-30 months online): An accredited online Masters degree delivered from the Energy Capital of Europe. Master the skills and technologies you need to pursue a career in the upstream and downstream oil and gas industry. A key strength of this Energy Institute-accredited degree is its interdisciplinary scope. You’ll cover a wide range of subjects, including geology and chemistry, alongside engineering.
- MSc Renewable Energy Engineering (1 year full time, 27-30 months part time): This program has been designed to provide you with a detailed knowledge of all major renewable energy sources and the engineering skills associated with them, including geothermal, solar, biomass, hydro, marine and wind. In addition, there are courses covering legislative, planning and economic considerations associated with renewable energy, and the integration of renewable energy to the grid.
Masters Degree Programs - Management
- MBA Energy Management (1 year full time, 2 years part time): This industry-led MBA program is unique in the UK for developing the next generation of skilled, talented and knowledgeable professionals for higher-level positions within the energy industry. This course will provide you with the knowledge base
- MSc Oil and Gas Enterprise Management (1 year full time): This long-established interdisciplinary program develops your business, legal and technological skills to provide a thorough understanding of the entire oil and gas lifecycle, from exploration & production (E&P) through to commercialization, within the broad economic and legal context of the oil and gas industry.
Masters Degree Programs - Law
- LLM Oil and Gas Law with Professional Skills (12 months, 24 months or 36 months - full time or part time): LLM in Oil and Gas Law with Professional Skills will help you build your practical expertise and gain valuable contacts that will help advance your legal career. Upon completing our Master’s program, you will have the intellectual, critical and practical skills required to practice as a trained professional in this field. You will be immersed in the grounding concepts of current oil and gas law and will gain the practical education required for the legal management of oil & gas exploration and production activity.
- LLM Oil and Gas Law with Dissertation (1 year full time, 2 years part time):The LLM in Oil and Gas Law with Dissertation will build your expertise and grow your contacts. Improve your intellectual, critical and practical skills that are fundamental to practicing as a trained professional in this field, whilst engaging with a challenging yet extremely rewarding subject of study. You will be immersed in the grounding concepts of current oil and gas law, and will gain the advanced, specialist knowledge, critical analysis, and research efficiency required for the legal management of oil & gas exploration and production activity.
LAST UPDATED ON Dec 20, 2020