Change the Language
Summer Associate & Articleships and Career Opportunities for Associates, Law Clerks & Paralegals
Stikeman Elliott LLP is one of Canada's leading business law firms, with offices in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver as well as in London, New York and Sydney. The firm is recognized as a Canadian leader in each of its core practice areas - corporate finance, M&A, corporate-commercial law, banking, structured finance, real estate, tax, insolvency, competition/antitrust, employment and business litigation.
The firm is regularly retained by domestic and international companies in a wide range of industries including financial services, insurance, technology, telecommunication, transportation, manufacturing, mining, energy, infrastructure and retail. It was named as the 2011 Canadian Law Firm of the Year by the International Financial Law Review.
Stikeman Elliott has an extensive maritime law practice, including importation, purchase and sale, construction, registration, finance, litigation/arbitration, charter parties, pollution and marine insurance. The members of this practice group have special knowledge of federal regulatory matters as well as IMO, CMI, UNCTAD, UNCITRAL and International Oil Pollution Fund matters. It has also experience in dealing with Transport Canada and the Canadian Coast Guard. It represents a number of Canada's leading shipowners, in the dry/wet bulk and container trades, and has long standing relationships with the leading UK and US law firms in this sector.
Stikeman Elliott was named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2009 and 2010, one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers and Best Employers for New Canadians for 2010 (each as selected by Mediacorp in partnership with Maclean's magazine), as one of the Greater Toronto Area's Top 50 Employers for 2010 (as selected by the Toronto Star).
STIKEMAN ELLIOTT Career Opportunities
- Summer Program (Montreal): As of the second year of university, all of the future stagiaires are offered summer work and part-time work during the school year until the actual stage. So they may acquire practical experience in many different areas of the law and become acquainted with the practice, procedures and lawyers of different practice groups of the Firm, students join the firm for at least one summer before undertaking their stage. During the summer months, each of the approximately 30 to 40 students is assigned to a certain practice group. During the school year, students who wish to work part-time may work with whomever they choose.
- Summer Program (Toronto): For summer positions, Stikeman Elliott hires students who have completed their 2nd year of law school or their 3rd year of a 4-year program. Stikeman Elliott views the summer as a great opportunity for you to get a broad exposure to the practice areas in which you're interested, as they recognize that it's still early in your career. The mentorship program is the cornerstone to the firm’s student program. You'll be matched with 3 mentors (a partner and 2 associates) from your practice area(s) of interest. You'll get lots of responsibility which will help you to develop your practice skills and knowledge of law and you will be supported by top notch people and technological resources. Much of your work will come from your mentors and from the lawyers from whom you seek out work.
- Articling Program (Toronto): The focus of the articling program is flexibility and hands-on learning and training and provides you with the option of obtaining a broad exposure to several practice areas over your articling term or focusing your interests on a few particular practice areas - all of which will encourage your growth and development.
Associate Career & Development
- Associate Program: Stikeman Elliott has several broadly defined practice groups. Within each practice area, further specialized areas of practice have evolved. All practice areas work in coordination with the others, and lawyers from the various groups regularly work together as teams on major projects. Associate opportunities are available in Montréal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, and Vancouver.
- Professional Development: Stikeman Elliott committed to the continuous development and education of the lawyers and this is best achieved by a mix of hands-on experience and formal training, as well as strong formal and informal mentoring relationships.
- On-the-Job One-on-One Training: With on the job training, you gain experience by participating in a meaningful way in a range of client files. You'll observe what more experienced lawyers do, and will also get the chance to act on feedback and on-the-fly directions that you'll get from the lawyers you are working with.
- CLE Programs and Current Awareness: To supplement your on-the-job learning, Stikeman Elliott has a CLE Committee which develops substantive seminars tailored to the needs of the associates at the various stages in their careers.
- Mentors: The mentor system is a key element of the associate training and development. As an associate you will have two mentors: a mid-level or senior associate and partner. Your mentors' key role is to periodically monitor your workload, ensure that you are getting the type of work and experience you seek, and to offer advice to help guide the development of your career.
Law Clerks & Paralegals
Stikeman Elliott law clerks play an important role in all areas of practice at the firm, and are highly motivated professionals who work closely with both lawyers and clients. Because the law clerks are one of the most valued investments, the firm is committed to their continuing legal education and training. Throughout their careers at Stikeman Elliott, the law clerks are provided with opportunities to develop personally and professionally. These positions are available is all offices including international.