Translate to Your Language
Career Opportunities and Trainee Programs in Shipping, Maritime & International Trade Law
Founded in 1870, Ince & Co is an international commercial law firm with offices in Dubai, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Le Havre, London, Monaco, Paris, Piraeus, Shanghai and Singapore. Ince & Co’s international network is led from the offices in London. The company has seven core business areas - aviation, business & finance, commercial disputes, energy & offshore, insurance & reinsurance, international trade and shipping. With clients range from major international corporations to smaller companies, sole traders and private individuals, Ince practices English, French, German, Greek, Hong Kong and PRC law.
The shipping lawyers deal with the full range of legal issues affecting those involved in the shipping industry, advising on – among other things - charterparties, shipbuilding and cargo claims. They have expertise in the carriage of almost every type of cargo and associated problems and have acted on a number of high-profile piracy cases. The Admiralty lawyers, many of whom are ex-mariners, assist in virtually every major maritime casualty worldwide, responding to ship fires, sinking, groundings, collisions and pollution incidents. And the ship finance lawyers represent owners and lenders, acting in all aspects of asset financing for the shipping and offshore industries around the world, including ship sale and purchase, syndicated financing, refinancing, work-outs and related advisory work.
Ince & Co has been named as one of the Best Legal Employers by Legal Week several times. In order to qualify for the quality mark, law firms must perform strongly in Legal Week's flagship Employee Satisfaction Report and agree to work with Legal Week's research arm, Legal Week Intelligence, to ensure they make full use of the research in order to continue to improve their employee satisfaction levels.
INCE & CO Career Opportunities
- The Training Contract: Spending six months with four different partners, you’ll gain a solid understanding of the breadth of Ince work. You’ll have the opportunity to get involved in and take responsibility on cases, both big and small – and from initial instruction to conclusion, depending on the length of the case. The cases you work on stay with you throughout your training period, so you’re exposed to a whole range of legal skills in every case you work on. With the emphasis on hands-on experience, you’ll meet clients, deal with counsel, technical experts and opposing lawyers.
- Trainee Recruitment Placement Scheme: Running during the Easter and summer vacations, the two-week trainee recruitment placement scheme (TRPS) gives you a practical insight into Ince practice and a taste of life as a trainee at Ince. This is available for a maximum of three people at any one time.
There are also various opportunities to work as qualified lawyers in London and other international offices and the vacancies are advertised from time to time. The areas of expertise in Shipping are given below:
- Cargo recovery & defence
- International Emergency Response
- Passenger & cruise ships
- Protection & Indemnity Insurance
- Shipbuilding, conversion & repair
- Ship finance and sale & purchase
- Yachts & Superyachts
INCE & CO Key Facts
- Number of offices: 10
- Number of personnel: Over 600 worldwide
- Office locations: Dubai, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Le Havre, London, Monaco Paris, Piraeus, Shanghai, Singapore
- Major practice areas: aviation, business & finance, commercial disputes, dispute resolution, energy & offshore, insurance & reinsurance, international trade, shipping
- Types of law practiced: English, French, German, Greek, Hong Kong, and advice on Singaporean law in arbitrations
- International Team of the Year Award for Shipping and Maritime, China Law & Practice Awards 2011
- In-house community firm of the year for Maritime & Shipping in Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore 2011: Asian-MENA Counsel
- Shipping & Maritime Law Firm of the Year, Hong Kong: Finance Monthly - Law Awards 2011
- Shipping & Maritime Law Firm of the Year - DealMakers Annual Awards 2010
- Pacific Business Press Asian-Counsel Firm of the Year 2010: Maritime and Shipping in Hong Kong and Japan
- Shipping & Maritime Law Firm of the Year - ACQ Law Awards 2010
- Seatrade Asia Maritime Law Award 2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008
- Global Shipping & Maritime Law Firm of the Year 2011, 2009 & 2008 - Who's Who Legal
- Global Shipping Law Firm of the Year 2007 to 2009 - Chambers and Partners
- SE Asia Shipping Law Firm of the Year 2011, 2010 & 2010 - Asian Legal Business