AMSA Mate <500 GT CoC Requirements (General, Sea Service and STCW) for Australian International Seafarers
This section includes the AMSA International Qualifications (CoC) and requirements under STCW for Mate less than 500 gross tonnage. The Mate < 500 GT allows you to perform the duties or functions of Chief mate or Watchkeeper deck officer on ships less than 500 gross tonnage in any operating area; Master on ships less than 500 gross tonnage in near coastal waters; Watchkeeper deck officer on ships less than 3000 gross tonnage in near coastal waters; and if endorsed, Chief mate on ships less than 3000 gross tonnage in near coastal waters.
This certificate enables you to work as a Master or Chief mate on vessels <500 GT and as Watchkeeper deck officer on vessels of any gross tonnage in any operating area
- To be eligible for a Mate <500 GT certificate of competency you must meet medical, sea service and course requirements.
- The requirements depend on whether you are getting a certificate for the first time or revalidating an existing certificate.
- The person must have passed a final assessment
- Person must be at least 18 years old.
- Meet 1 of the following - hold or have held a certificate of competency as unrestricted Master Class 5; hold or have held an unrestricted Master <24 m NC certificate of competency; hold an AMSA Watchkeeper Deck <500 GT or Master <24 m FG certificate of competency; hold another certificate that AMSA considers at least equivalent.
Mate <500 GT Sea Service Requirements
- Have completed at least 36 months documented qualifying seagoing service performing watchkeeping duties or functions in the deck department on vessels ≥12 m, of which - at least 24 months was served as master or an officer in charge of a navigational watch; and at least 12 months was served on vessels ≥24 m, on vessels on voyages of at least 24 hours duration; and for endorsement as Chief mate on vessels <3000 GT on near coastal voyages, at least 6 months was served on vessels ≥24 m as officer in charge of a navigational watch while holding a Mate <500 GT certificate of competency.
Mate <500 GT STCW Training and Certificate Requirements
- Have completed an approved program of study that meets the standards specified in STCW Code section A-II/1 and the relevant section A-II/2 and includes the following -