Pick Your Language (Translate)
Maritime, Maritime Law, Shipping and Oil & Gas Offshore Engineering Programs at Limassol, Cyprus
Established in 2007, Frederick University is originated from Nicosia Technical and Economics School and Frederick Institute of Technology. Frederick University is one of the largest private universities in Cyprus and offers a wide and diverse range of programs of study organized in fifteen Departments and six Schools. Frederick University is also well respected internationally. It offers a broad range of diploma, degree and master courses in the areas of science, engineering, business, tourism, arts, media and education.
Frederick University assigns great emphasis to academic research and promotes the advancement of research and creative output of its faculty members. Frederick University enjoys close relations with Frederick Research Center, a nonprofit organization which focuses on the promotion of academic research. The University operates from two campuses, the main campus in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus and the other campus in Limassol.
The programs are offered in English and are also available in fulltime and part-time format. The Programs of Studies at Frederick University are based on the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). At least 240 ECTS must be completed for the award of the BSc and BA degrees and 90 for MSc degrees. Each student is expected to enroll for 60 ECTS hours per academic year. A part-time student is one who enrolls for up to 19 ECTS hours in a semester. International students must study on a full-time basis as per the regulations of the Cyprus government.
- BSc in Maritime Studies (8 semesters, full-time or part-time, English): The Program allocates 55 ECTS to develop fundamental knowledge in economics, finance, accounting and management while also introducing students to core maritime subjects. The program then deals with all aspects of the shipping business world and offers the student a wide knowledge of shipping operations and trade. Modules are offered in the major fields of shipping practice, like shipping economics and finance, shipping law, chartering, marine insurance, and logistics.
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering with Specialization in Oil & Gas Engineering (8 semesters, full-time or part-time, English): The aim of the BSc in Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Oil and Gas is to serve both the Upstream and Downstream Oil and Gas Production and therefore prepare professionals to work in hydrocarbon exploration and processing, with knowhow in drilling and reservoir characterization, analysis and design of pipeline systems, industrial process (refineries and petrochemicals) and simulations, as members of multi-disciplinary teams.
Masters Degree Programs
- MA/LLM in Maritime Law and Shipping Business (full-time or part-time or distance, English, 3 semesters): The MA/LLM in Maritime Law and Shipping Business uniquely combines the areas of both Law and Business and covers all legal subjects that are necessary for a maritime lawyer. The Program has been especially developed to give the special skill set and advantage since modern shipping managers and lawyers are required to advise on the legal complexities and on business challenges of International Trade and Transport. Specializations include - Ship Management, Financial Management, or Trade Regulations and Practice.
- MSc in International Trade and Shipping Management (full-time or part-time or distance, English, 3 semesters): The course delivers a comprehensive integrated overview of the core subjects essential to a thorough understanding of international trade and transport. Specifically, the course aims to develop the generic business skills required by managers working in the area of international trade and maritime business; develop critical analytical skills and apply them to the challenges they continually meet.
- MSc in Oil & Gas and Offshore Engineering (90 ECTS): The MSc program places special emphasis on scientific research. It seeks to foster and embrace entirely new ideas and novel approaches to scientific discovery in the field of fossil fuels exploration and offshore constructions. The graduates of the Program have the knowledge and skills required for the design, implementation, maintenance and administration of oil & gas and offshore engineering systems related to their specialization. The program has a taught part and research proposal including masters thesis. The specializations include: Oil & Gas Engineering, Offshore Engineering Or Petroleum Engineering.
Frederick University Admissions
- BSc: Candidates for a bachelor degree program should submit a school leaving certificate from a recognized six-form secondary school (high school) with an average grade of 75% (Greek Cypriot secondary schools) or a grade "C" or its equivalent (other secondary schools), or equivalent qualification.
- MSc (Oil & Gas): BSc degree in Engineering or a closely related program. There are no specific arrangements for recognition of prior learning for this Program. Candidates can be granted transfer credits according to the general arrangements for recognition of prior learning of the University.
- MSc (Int Trade & Shipping Management) & MA / LLM in Maritime Law and Shipping Business: Undergraduate degree with a business orientation or Law or Undergraduate degree in any other area - not business oriented-, provided the candidate has substantial experience in a managerial post within a business environment or A professional qualification such as Membership of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers, Master Mariner’s or Chief Engineer’s Certificate of Competency. This will only apply where the candidate has satisfactory business experience.