Maritime NZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) Certificate of Proficiency (MNZ SeaCert & STCW) Requirements for New Zealand Seafarers
The Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) certificate corresponds with a certificate issued under regulation II/5 of the International Convention on the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended in 2010 (STCW). With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of a deck rating forming part of a navigational watch on ships of any gross tonnage in any operating area. From AB Deck, you can progress to Integrated Rating and to the operational-level officer certificate Watchkeeper Deck.
The information in this guideline covers training, sea service and other requirements for the certificate. It does not cover - transitioning from the International Labour Organization (ILO) able seaman certificate to AB Deck or recognition of an equivalent certificate obtained outside New Zealand.
You may also read: International Maritime Organization (IMO) STCW Able Seafrer Deck requirements
MNZ NZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) General Requirements
- 18 years old, medically fit and have good eyesight
- Good character and a fit and proper person
- Hold a current Deck Watch Rating certificate
- Must have met the minimum sea service requirements
- Complete and pass an approved training course
- Must have the required ancillary certificates
- Pass MNZ’s final exam
MNZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) Requirements
MNZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) Prior Certification Requirements
- You must have a Deck Watch Rating (DWR) certificate
MNZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) Sea Service Requirements
- Your sea service must be relevant and appropriate to the requirements set out in the maritime rules. In practice, this will require you to complete your sea service on commercial ships of 500 gross tonnage (GT) or more operating beyond restricted limits, while holding a DWR certificate. There are two options for the sea service -
- Option 1: at least 12 months’ sea service as part of an approved on-board training programme and completing a training record book.
- Option 2: at least 18 months’ sea service
- All of your sea service must be completed in the 10 years immediately before you apply for the certificate
AB Deck Training Record Book
- The Director of MNZ has approved the International Shipping Federation’s On Board Training Record Book for Deck Ratings (including new STCW grade of ‘Able Seafarer Deck’) as a record of training and experience for Deck Watch Rating and as approved training for AB Deck.
MNZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) Training and Exam Requirements
- You must attend and pass a training course that is acceptable to the Director of MNZ to achieve all of the required competencies for this certificate, as specified in section A-II/5 of the STCW Convention.
- You must pass a final exam to show you have met the standards of competency specified in section A-II/3 of the STCW Convention.
MNZ Able Seafarer Deck (AB Deck) Ancillary Certificates
Disclaimer: For general information purpose - please check with Maritime NZ for the latest requirements and accurate info