STCW-F II/8 Minimum Requirements for Renewal and Updating for GMDSS Radio Personnel on Fishing Vessels
Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) is primarily vessel-to-shore alerting system where Rescue Co-ordination Centers (RCCs) receive distress alerts from vessels and then co-ordinate an appropriate rescue response.
The requirements include - medical fitness, sea service, professional competence, perform functions relating to the duties appropriate to the grade of certificate etc.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 8 defines mandatory minimum requirements to ensure the continued proficiency and updating of knowledge for GMDSS radio personnel.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 7 - Continued Proficiency for GMDSS Radio Personnel (Fishing)
STCW-F II/7 Mandatory minimum requirements to ensure the continued proficiency and updating of knowledge for GMDSS radio personnel
- Every GMDSS radio personnel holding a certificate or certificates issued or recognized by the Party shall, in order to continue to qualify for seagoing service, be required to satisfy the Party as to the following:
- medical fitness, particularly regarding eyesight and hearing, at regular intervals not exceeding five years; and
- professional competence:
- by approved seagoing service involving radiocommunication duties of at least one year in total during the preceding five years; or
- by virtue of having performed functions relating to the duties appropriate to the grade of certificate held which are considered to be at least equivalent to the seagoing service required in paragraph 1.2.1; or
- by passing an approved test or successfully completing an approved training course or courses at sea or ashore which shall include those elements which are of direct relevance to the safety of life at sea, and which are applicable for the certificate that the person is holding, in accordance with the requirements of the 1993 Torreniolinos Protocol.
- When new modes, equipment or practices are to become mandatory aboard vessels entitled to fly the flag of a Party, the Party may require GMDSS radio personnel to pass an approved test or successfully complete an appropriate training course or courses, at sea or ashore, with particular reference to safety duties.
- The Administration shall ensure that the texts of recent changes in international regulations relating to radiocommunications and relevant to the safety of life at sea are available to ships entitled to fly its flag.
LAST UPDATED ON Aug 12, 2021