STCW-F II/3 Minimum Requirements for Certification of Skipper in Fishing Vessels 24m Operating in Limited Waters
A Fishing Vessel Skipper Limited is the commander of the vessel and is in charge of the crew onboard fishing boats in limited waters. Limited waters are those waters in the vicinity of a Party as defined by its administration within which a degree of safety is considered to exist which enables the standards of qualification and certification for skippers and officers of fishing vessels to be set at a lower level than for service outside the defined limits.
Fishing skippers may do some or all of the following - hire, direct and mentor crew; navigate fishing boats to and from fishing grounds; manage the deck and fishing duties; record fish catches and keep quality records; ensure the ship is properly equipped and maintained; ensure the health and safety of the crew; and undertake maintenance and emergency repairs.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 3 defines mandatory minimum requirements for certification and minimum knowledge required for Fishing Skipper Limited on fishing vessels of 24 meters in length and over operating in limited waters.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 3 - Fishing Skipper Limited
STCW-F II/3 Mandatory minimum requirements for certification of skippers on fishing vessels of 24 meters in length and over operating in limited waters
- Every skipper on a fishing vessel of 24 metres in length and over operating in limited waters shall, unless they hold certificates issued in compliance with regulation 1, hold an appropriate certificate issued in compliance with at least the provisions of this regulation.
- Every candidate for certification shall:
- satisfy the Party as to medical fitness, particularly regarding eyesight and hearing;
- meet the requirements for certification as an officer in charge of a navigational watch on fishing vessels of 24 metres in length and over operating in limited or unlimited waters, and have approved seagoing service of not less than 12 months as an officer in charge of a navigational watch or skipper on fishing vessels of not less than 12 metres in length. However, a Party may allow the substitution of a period not exceeding six months of approved seagoing service as officer in charge of a navigational watch on merchant ships;
- have passed an appropriate examination or examinations for the assessment of competency to the satisfaction of the Party. Such examination or examinations shall include the material set out in the appendix to this regulation.
- The Party, bearing in mind the effect on the safety of all ships and structures which may be operating in the same limited waters, should consider the limited waters it has defined in accordance with the definition given in regulation I/1 and determine any additional material that should be included in the examination or examinations.
- A candidate for examination who holds a valid certificate of competency issued in accordance with the provision of the 1978 STCW Convention need not be re-examined in those subjects listed in the appendix which were passed at a higher or equivalent level for issue of the Convention certificate.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 3 Appendix
Appendix to STCW-F II/3 - Minimum knowledge required for certification of skippers on fishing vessels of 24 metres in length and over operating in limited waters
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only - please check with IMO STCW -F Convention for the latest requirements and accurate info
LAST UPDATED ON June 15, 2021