STCW-F II/4 Minimum Requirements for Certification of OICNW on Fishing Vessels of 24m and Operating in Limited Waters
Officers in Charge of a Navigational Watch Limited on Fishing Vessels is an officer qualified in accordance with Regulation II/4 of STCW-F Convention and a representative of the Fishing Skipper. They are responsible at all times for the safe navigation of the fishing vessel and as a Navigation Watch Officer on Fishing Vessel, they are in charge of the bridge team for that watch, until properly relieved of their duty.
The OICNW-Fishing shall ensure that skipper’s standing orders are fully complied with and manning levels are safe at all times under prevailing circumstances and conditions. They must maintain a very high level of general awareness of day-to-day operation of the vessel.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 4 defines mandatory minimum requirements for certification of officers in charge of a navigational watch on fishing vessels of 24 meters in length and over operating in limited waters.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 4 - OICNW Fishing Limited
STCW-F II/4 Mandatory minimum requirements for certification of officers in charge of a navigational watch on fishing vessels of 24 meters in length and over operating in limited waters
- Every officer in charge of a navigational watch on a fishing vessel of 24 meters in length and over operating in limited waters shall either hold a certificate issued in compliance with regulation 2 or hold an appropriate certificate issued in compliance with at least the provisions of this regulation.
- Every candidate for certification shall:
- .be not less than 18 years of age;
- satisfy the Party as to medical fitness, particularly regarding eyesight and hearing;
- have approved seagoing service of not less than two years in the deck department on fishing vessels of not less than 12 meters in length. However, the Administration may allow the substitution of the seagoing service by a period of special training not exceeding one year, provided that the period of the special training program shall be at least equivalent in value to the period of the required seagoing service it substitutes or by a period of approved seagoing service evidenced by an approved record book covered by the 1978 STCW Convention;
- have passed an appropriate examination or examinations for assessment of competency to the satisfaction of the Party. Such examination or examinations shall include the material set out in the appendix to this regulation. A candidate for examination who holds a valid certificate of competency issued in accordance with the provisions of the 1978 STCW Convention need not be re-examined in those subjects listed in the appendix which were passed at a higher or equivalent level for issue of the Convention certificate; and
- meet the applicable requirements of regulation 6, as appropriate for performing designated radio duties in accordance with the Radio Regulations.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 4 Appendix
Appendix to regulation 4. Minimum knowledge required for certification of officers in charge of a navigational watch on fishing vessels of 24 meters in length and over operating in limited waters
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only - please check with IMO STCW -F Convention for the latest requirements and accurate info
LAST UPDATED ON Aug 4, 2021