STCW-F II/7 Minimum Requirements for Renewal and Updating for Skippers, Officers and Engineer on Fishing Vessels
Fishing certificates for vessels operating in unlimited waters and vessels of 24 meters and more overall length (750kW or more for Engineers) operating in coastal and offshore limits are subject to certain regulations of STCW-F. This applies to Skippers, Officers and Engineer Officers.
The requirements include - medical fitness, sea service, ancillary certificates if any, ability to perform fishing vessel operational duties etc.
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 7 defines mandatory minimum requirements to ensure the continued proficiency and updating of knowledge for skippers, officers and engineer officers
STCW-F Chapter II Regulation 7 - Renewal for Skippers, Officers and Engineers (Fishing)
STCW-F II/7 Mandatory minimum requirements to ensure the continued proficiency and updating of knowledge for skippers, officers and engineer officers
- Every skipper or officer holding a certificate who is serving at sea or intends to return to sea after a period ashore shall, in order to continue to qualify for seagoing service, be required at regular intervals not exceeding five years, to satisfy the Administration as to:
- medical fitness, particularly regarding eyesight and hearing; and
- seagoing service as skipper or officer of at least one year during the preceding five years; or
- ability to perform fishing vessel operational duties relating to the duties appropriate to the grade of certificate held which are considered to be at least equivalent to the seagoing service required in paragraph 1.2, or by:
- passing an approved test; or
- successfully completing an approved course or course appropriate, for skippers and officers who are serving on fishing vessels, especially for re-entrants to seagoing service on these vessels; or
- having completed approved seagoing service as an officer for a period of not less than three months on a fishing vessel in a supernumerary capacity, immediately prior to taking up the position for which the certificate is valid.
- The refresher and updating courses required by this regulation shall be approved by the Administration and include the text of recent changes in international regulations concerning the safety of life at sea and the protection of the marine environment.
- The Administration shall ensure that the texts of recent changes in international regulations concerning the safety of life at sea and the protection of the marine environment are made available to ships under its jurisdiction.
LAST UPDATED ON Aug 12, 2021