Maritime Vocational Courses, Marine Apprenticeships, and RYA Short Courses at Dartmouth, Devon
Located at Dartmouth Devon, South Devon Marine Academy (Formerly known as Dart Marine Academy or Noss Marine Academy) is part of the South Devon College and is based on the River Dart and is a maritime centre of excellence for training and education. The academy is an approved training centre for The Royal Yachting Association (RYA), a member of British Marine and The Institute for Outdoor Learning (IOL), and an accredited centre for City and Guilds, EAL Awards and Plymouth University. South Devon College is part of The University of Plymouth Colleges network.
The South Devon Marine Academy has access to a comprehensive range of craft, which consists of over 20 boats. This includes powerboats, sailing dinghies and 2 38 foot yachts, the Aspiration (Sigma 38) and Endeavour (Beneteau 38).Other facilities include - Marine engineering workshop and a boat building workshop; Marine diagnostic software; Composites research and development facility; and Shore based navigation and VHF training facility.
The Courses are for all ages, and can provide you with the qualifications you need to be competent at sea, or to simply further your knowledge in sailing, yachting and boating. Every student at South Devon College has a Personalized Learning Program; a custom plan tailored to you as an individual that ensures you gain the academic, vocational and employability skills necessary to achieve your goals and find employment upon the completion of your studies.
Education & Training Programs
- Exploring Maritime Skills Certificate Level 1: The Exploring Maritime Skills course is the perfect introduction to the marine sector, enabling you to identify the areas that interest you most in this dynamic industry. You’ll gain both practical experience and theoretical knowledge, as you find out the areas that interest you most in the marine sector.
- Marine Engineering Certificate Level 2: You’ll develop essential skills in communicating highly technical information, maintaining mechanical devices, and testing electrical equipment and circuits. You’ll be assessed by completing a range of practical tasks, and producing a portfolio of evidence. Practical sessions are delivered in our fully equipped workshop, whilst the essential underpinning theory and knowledge is delivered in our specialist classroom facilities.
- Marine Engineering Diploma Level 3: Successful completion of the Level 3 course will prepare you for employment as a marine engineer. You will be assessed by completing a range of practical tasks and producing a portfolio of evidence. Practical sessions are delivered in our fully equipped workshops.
- Maritime Studies: Marinas and Boatyard Apprenticeship Level 2: This apprenticeship provides students with a common core of learning, with additional options to suit the different circumstances associated with working in coastal or in-land marinas, or in boatyards. You can specialize in lifting and moving boats and yachts, mooring and berthing boats and yachts, moving loads in boatyards, and maintaining marinas and boatyard equipment.
- Boat Building Apprenticeship Level 3: The Level 3 Boat Building apprenticeship has opportunities with a range of employers, including marine engineers, boat builders, repairers, boatyards and marinas. During this program you will learn about boat production, boat maintenance and the repair of boats, all under the support and guidance of both your employer and the College. You will attend the College for one day per week, with the remaining working week spent in the workplace, for a minimum of 30 hours.
- Marine Engineering Apprenticeship Level 3: During this marine engineering apprenticeship you will learn advanced engineering skills, testing and diagnostics and general boating skills. You will attend College at South Devon Marine Academy one day per week. Once completed, you could go on to work as a qualified marine engineer in boatyards, marinas and engineering companies.
Supply Chain Apprenticeship
- Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Apprenticeship Level 2: During this apprenticeship you will learn various skills relevant to business operations, as you maintain equipment, manage stock, audit inventories, process returned goods and manage the receipt, storage and dispatch of goods.
- RYA Day Skipper Theory: This theory based course is a comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance: The diesel engine course is designed for leisure sailors and motor boat owners who would like essential, practical knowledge about their boats diesel engine.
- RYA Powerboat Handling Level 2: This two day, practical based course is a comprehensive introduction to Power Boat Handling.