Merchant Navy, Maritime Business, Marine Engineering, Shipping, Logistics & Supply Chain Education and Maritime History at Plymouth
The University of Plymouth is one of the UK's most prominent and dynamic universities with an educational history dating back to 1862. It is consistently ranked as one of the top three modern universities; Plymouth has over 30,000 students almost 3,000 staff an annual income of around £160 million.
The University is located at the heart of the city of Plymouth and plays a key role in the city’s cultural, economic and social life. Plymouth University is developing strong links with businesses and professional communities across the South West and the initiatives, such as Formation Zone support local business and helps develop new innovative ideas.
The School of Marine Science and Engineering at Plymouth University is multifaceted and the largest of its kind in Europe which contains approximately 80 academic staff, 1400 undergraduate and postgraduate taught students, and 90 MPhil/PhD research students. It has interests which span civil and coastal engineering, geography, marine biology, marine science, marine studies, and mechanical and marine engineering. Many of the courses are professionally accredited.
The International Shipping and Logistics Group (ISL), part of School of Management, focuses on sustainable business applications and governance issues within the contexts of international shipping, logistics, ports and supply chain management. The Group has an enviable reputation within industry for its courses and research. Many of its graduates are employed in international shipping and logistics businesses.
Merchant Navy programs
- BSc (Hons) Navigation and Maritime Science (3 years + optional placement): You will study an hons degree program that gives you the skills sought by employers across the sector. You can study an additional year working at sea to gain internationally recognized qualifications required to become a professional seafarer. You will gain a degree accredited by the Maritime & Coastguard Agency, and the Merchant Navy Training Board, as well as hands-on experience, navigating our dedicated 13 meter sail and navigation training vessel.
- FdSc Navigation and Maritime Science (2 years + optional placement): This foundation degree will set you on course for a successful career as a maritime professional in the global maritime sector. Opt to follow a two year program designed for students wishing to pursue a career in shore based maritime management; or follow an accredited three year program that includes a year working at sea, and gain internationally recognized qualifications for professional seafarers in the merchant navy, yachting or superyacht industries.
Maritime Business Programs
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Maritime Law (3 years + optional placement): Get to know the exciting and often hidden business of world shipping, from shipbroking and the transport of goods to salvage rights and piracy. The course has established a strong reputation within the industry.
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Maritime Law with Foundation Year (4 years + optional placement): The course starts with a foundation year 0, specifically designed to introduce and develop essential skills for success in higher education, including critical thinking and research skills, and the knowledge and understanding of key facets of business, accounting and economics.
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Logistics (3 years + optional placement): This three-year degree helps prepare you for work in a global industry that is challenging, exciting and dynamic. This course is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers, and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
Maritime & Logistics Top Up Programs
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Transport and Logistics (1 year top-up): Study shipping policy and logistics in a city immersed in maritime heritage with the one year top-up degree. You will get ahead with a course that’s accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers, and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- BSc (Hons) International Supply Chain and Shipping Management (1 year top-up): This career focused, one-year top-up degree will help you navigate the complexities of the supply chain and logistics industry. You will also benefit from our International Shipping and Logistics Group’s associations with a number of commercial and international maritime.
- BA (Hons) International Trade and Operations Management (1 year top-up): Studying on this one year top-up course, you’ll develop your appreciation of the global marketplace and its impact on business decisions and operational culture.
Cruise Management Program
- BSc (Hons) Cruise Management (3 years + optional placement): Created in collaboration with the industry's finest cruise companies, this coursewill help you to cultivate your professional hospitality management skills in cruise operations.
Marine Engineering Programs
- BEng (Hons) Marine Technology (3 years + optional placement): The accredited BEng Marine Technology is designed to start your journey to becoming a qualified professional marine engineer.
- MEng (Hons) Marine Technology (4 years + optional placement): You will develop skills in the fundamentals of engineering as well as in marine engineering and naval architecture. The engineering courses rely strongly on practical work and you will develop your design skills throughout the course.
Shipping & Logistics Programs
- MSc International Shipping (1 year): Build industry connections through the visiting speakers' program and stand out to employers with a qualification accredited by the Charted Institute of Logistics and Transport and recognized by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers and The Nautical Institute.
- MSc International Procurement and Supply Chain Management (1 year): Prepare yourself for a management role within the international procurement and supply chain sectors with this flexible qualification. A accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and recognized by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers and The Nautical Institute.
- MSc International Logistics and Supply Chain Management (1 year): Greatly enhance your employability in areas of international logistics and supply chain management with a program that includes options to study abroad, gain a dual award title and join the Plymouth Nautical Degree Association (PYNDA) upon graduation.
- MSc Operations and Supply Chain Management (1 year): Learn how advanced operations management, modern and sustainable supply chains, and the flow of information therein have become the bedrock of competitive advantage in an ever-changing global business environment.
Plymouth University Features
Plymouth University has a huge range of undergraduate degree programs designed specifically to improve students’ employability and career prospects. Program types are varied and include new two year degrees where students continue studying through the traditional summer vacation, and top-up degrees, which are designed for holders of three year diplomas. The university also offers a versatile range of taught masters programs, research degrees and professional doctorate programs which are supported and supervised by staffs who are international experts in their field.
- Campus: Plymouth University is located in south west of the UK, on the border of the counties of Devon and Cornwall. It’s a good size city (about 300,000 people), with Dartmoor National Park on one side and the sea on the other. Plymouth can be reached from London by train in about 3 hours or by plane in 1 hour, and there are air links to other cities and ferry links to France and Spain.
- Accreditation: Plymouth University is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Many of the courses listed above are accredited by professional institutions such as Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology, Royal Institution of Naval Architects, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and, with suitable training after university, lead to Chartered Engineer status.
- Research: The RAE 2008 saw Plymouth named as a top 50 research University and the most improved with 80% of its research judged as being of international repute, meaning both the undergraduate and postgraduate students can be proud to be taught by, and work alongside world-class experts.
- Europe's Largest Marine Institute: The University houses Europe's largest Marine Institute, with a dedicated world-class marine building being erected this year which will include state-of-the-art research facilities and new wave tank testing equipment that will be unique to the UK.
- Enterprise Solutions Program: The University is an award-winning leader in knowledge transfer and through its Enterprise Solutions program which has helped many hundreds of businesses and over a thousand individuals.
- Career Gateway: Career gateway is university’s careers and employability centre, and gateway to the University for information, advice and graduate recruitment activities. It is open to students, graduates, businesses, community groups, prospective students and members of the public. It is intended to be a gateway between the University and the city. The center offers professional one-stop information and advice for all the intended users.
- Housing: Plymouth University offers all students the opportunity to live in good quality accommodation not just for the first year, but for the duration of their course, in a variety of housing. At present there are university allocated places for 60% of the first year students who apply for them.