Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar), Short Courses, Online Programs for Professionals and Members at NI Academy & Nautical Institute Books
Established in 1971 and headquartered in London, the Nautical Institute (NI) is an international representative body for maritime professionals provides a wide range of services to enhance the professional standing and knowledge of over 7000 members in over 110 countries. Nautical Institute also accredit a number of maritime technical training schemes.
The Nautical Institute offers a wide range of accreditation services, from being the sole recognized certification provider for Dynamic Positioning Training to providing one-off audits for compliance against a known standard. It has the capability to operate a full international certification scheme or to work on behalf of Flag Administrations as a designated authority.
The Institute is particularly well known for its wide range of specialist maritime books and guides. There are four levels of membership for qualified maritime professionals - Fellow (FNI), Associate Fellow (AFNI), Member (MNI), and Associate Member (AMNI).
Certification & CPD Programs
Chartered Master Mariner (CMMar)
- The award of Chartered status is a gold-standard for those who deserve the accolade of eminence. It will serve to recognize Master Mariners who have not only benefited the industry but have also improved their own professional capability and demonstrated a willingness to help others.
- To ensure the status of Chartered Master Mariner commands equivalent recognition and professional respect to other technical disciplines, the path to attaining Chartered status is designed to thoroughly test and prove those who would aspire to achieve it. Candidates should understand that not all who apply will be successful and that all application fees are non-refundable.
- Thereis no examination and the selection procedure is rigorous. Candidates will need to give details of two referees prepared to support their application. Membership of a professional body is not essential, but may help an applicant. If the application has been successful, a candidate will normally be told within 10 weeks of the interview.
NI Academy Short Courses
- Navigation Assessor: This course is for personnel requiring to demonstrate they hold a qualification to be able to conduct navigation audits stipulated in TMSA3 element 5 - Marine Consultants, Surveyors, Inspectors, Marine Managers, Superintendents, Shipmasters preparing for navigation assessments.
- Onboard Competency Assessment: The Nautical Institute's Onboard Competency Assessment Course has been designed to provide industry guidance on competency assessment. This course is primarily intended for any person conducting in-service assessment of competence of a seafarer on board.
- Rethinking Accident Investigations - Towards Learning and Prevention: Going well beyond the idea of compliance (following predetermined plans, procedures and rules), this highly interactive workshop explores new ways of engaging with core safety concepts to benefit your people and your business. This workshop will equip you with the knowledge to understand and think beyond human error.
- Blockchain for Maritime Decision-makers: Blockchain and Digital Transformation strategies to turbocharge your business future. Delivered using the latest interactive learning tools such as guided workshops, demonstrations and much more - this course is specifically designed to support your professional development.
- Improving Performance Through the Human Element: This course is an interactive, two-day course that has been designed to provide mariners with an in-depth overview of the most important physical and psychological aspects of the human, and the interaction of that human in a very specific environment – a vessel at sea.
- Marine Incident Investigation & Analysis: This course introduces the student to the philosophy, processes and procedures to support a marine casualty investigation taking into consideration the Code for the Investigation of Marine Casualties and Incidents.
- Introduction to Shipping: The Nautical Institute’s Introduction to Shipping course is designed to give maritime professionals with little or no experience of the industry an understanding of the sector and its components.
NI Academy Online Courses
- Basic Life Support and AED Training: This course is aimed at people wanting to learn basic life support (BLS). You will learn to recognize if a person is unconscious and how to tell if they are having cardiac arrest.
- ColRegs & IALA Buoyage: This course is in two parts and examines in great detail two essential topics for deck officers and crew. The first part of the course addresses the 38 Collision Regulations and the second part of the course examines the IALA Buoyage system.
- Crisis Management & Human Behaviour - STCW Regulation V/2 Paragraph 6 and Section A-V/2 paragraph 3 (Flag State Approved): This course offers guidance as to the main factors you should be aware of in a crisis situation, and measures that should be deployed, such as how to use available resources, how to cope with stress and how to communicate effectively with passengers and crew members.
- Cyber Security at Sea: This course raises awareness of cyber security onboard ship and encourages good cyber hygiene. It explores cyber security risk and introduces candidates to the cyber risk management plan.
- ECDIS - STCW Table A-II/1 - Table A-II/3 & SOLAS Chapter 9, Reg 3 (Flag State Approved): This course will provide a sound understanding of the principles of the ECDIS system and how it should be used to facilitate navigational planning.
- Enclosed Space Entry & Emergency Awareness: This program covers a range of topics, including the need for inspection, ship structure and stresses, structural materials and checking hot spots. Regulations addressed - Requirements of the Merchant Shipping (Entry into Dangerous Spaces) Regulations 1988 (SI 1988 No 1638); IMO Resolution A.1050 (27) Recommendations for Entering Enclosed Spaces Aboard Ships; and Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen (COSWP).
- Environmental Officer: The course helps with assisting the Master to ensure compliance with the company’s Environmental Policy and EMS, and also, it helps with driving continuous environmental improvement on board ships and encouraging broader environmental awareness amongst crew.
- Ex Awareness Training: This course deals with the protection of electrical equipment in hazardous areas onboard ship.
- GMDSS - STCW Section B-IV/2 & the GMDSS Manual, 2011 Edition: This course supports international standards of training on GMDSS (IMO Model Course, Number 1.25), providing knowledge required for the effective use of GMDSS equipment.
- ISO 14001 - Environmental Management: An introductory course for seafarers seeking to learn about environmental management (based on the international standard contained in the ISO 1400 series of publications) and gain accreditation (optional).
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management: The purpose of an occupational health and safety management system is to prevent short-term and long-term occupational accidents, injuries and diseases, caused by conditions in the workplace.
- ISO 50001 - Energy Management: This course is aimed at seafarers and shore-based staff implementing an energy management system.
- ISM Designated Person Ashore: This course is a comprehensive multimedia package designed to deliver the knowledge and training necessary to carry out the role of the Designated Person.
- Leadership & Management (3 part course): Part 1 - How to communicate in writing training course; Part 2 - How to communicate verbally training course; and Part 3 - How to manage your time training course.
- LNG Bunkering - Respond Level Training: The aims of this training package are to ensure that the user is trained within the SGMF Guidelines and to provide a record of this training. The course can be used on board ship or ashore and is designed for individual self-study.
- Marine Environmental Awareness: This course includes guidance in ensuring environmental policy complies with legislation, helps drive continuous environmental improvement and encourages a broader environmental awareness amongst crew.
- Maritime Labour Covention 2006 - For Ship's Masters: The program is designed for Ship Masters who need a detailed understanding of the Convention and what it means for their role in an organization.
- Maritime Security Awareness: Regulations addressed in this course - the ISPS Code, STCW Table A-VI/6-1
- Onboard Trainer & Assessor: This course aims to develop those skills in a simple, step-by-step way. Modules include how to coach, using CBT and assessment.
- Risk Assessment at Sea: Based on the principles of basic seamanship, it offers comprehensive understanding of risks and hazards. Topics include planning, organization and risk assessment.
- Safe Container Operations Training: The aim of this program is to help users understand how to plan and carry out stowage of containers effectively.
- Safety Officer: This course provides training required by those newly appointed or about to be appointed in the role.
- Survey & Examination of Lifting Appliances: This course was created to enhance the quality of the surveying and examination of lifting appliances and therefore improve their safety in a bid to reduce injuries and deaths caused by lifting operations.
- Vessel Resource Management - STCW Section A-VIII/2: The course concentrates on four areas of competence, knowledge, understanding and proficiency, seeking to develop best practice through a technique called situational awareness, which has now been adopted by the STCW code as a key measure.
- Vessel Structure and Ballast Tank Inspection: The aim of the course is to give all candidates a clear and practical idea of the types of defects that could occur to affect the ship's structure and know exactly where to look and what to look for, and how to report faults.
- Working with Tugs: This course demonstrates how the risks of a towing operation can be minimized through thorough preparation, effective teamwork and communication, and by adopting best practice across all procedures.
NI Academy Self Study Schemes
- Command Diploma Scheme: Designed to help you prepare for the responsibilities and realities of command at sea, the Scheme comprises a well thought-out programme of self-directed learning, with practical assignments plus a final essay and interview. At its core are the subjects that existing and aspiring Masters have identified as areas of concern - onboard leadership and management, navigation and shiphandling, ship’s commercial business and coping with emergencies. Award of The Nautical Institute Command Diploma offers you a way to build your confidence and to distinguish yourself from your colleagues.
- Harbour Master Scheme: Whilst it is impossible to cover all the subjects that are relevant to the position of Harbour Master, anyone completing the course of study will have a good grounding and be well prepared for the work of the Harbour Master.
- International Sail Endorsement Scheme: Together The Nautical Institute and Sail Training International (STI) have developed a new 'International Sail Endorsement Scheme' (ISES) that enables both square rig and fore-and-aft sailors to complete practical tasks and aquire new knowledge before being assessed and endorsed.
Nautical Institute Publications and Guides
The Nautical Institute is a major maritime publisher with over 200 titles to its credit. Many of these books have become industry standards and are acknowledged by the International Maritime Organization (IMO). The hallmark of Institute publications is that they are 'Practical Guides' written 'by practitioners for practitioners'.
- Admiralty Manual of Navigation Vol 2: Astro Navigation
- Casualty Management Guidelines
- Handling Ships in First-Year Ice
- Human Performance and Limitation for Mariners
- Launch and Recovery of Boats from Ships
- Modern Watchkeeping and the Human Element: DVD
- Mooring and Anchoring Ships: Inspection and Maintenance: Vol. 2
- Navigation Accidents and Their Causes
- Shiphandling Logbook
- The Use of Visual Aids to Navigation
- Plus more