Commercial Ship, Yacht & Small Craft Marine Surveying Professional Qualifications Distance Education; Marine Surveying Academy (MSA) Programs & IIMS Online Seminars
The International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS) is an independent, non-political organization and aims to promote professionalism and the advancement of knowledge in the profession of Marine Surveying, which the Institute defines as being, the service provided to maritime and transport organizations in general and the production of guidance reports for all other bodies connected with maritime operations or maritime trade.
Membership is open to Qualified Mariners, Cargo Surveyors, Yacht and Small Craft Surveyors, and Marine Consultants from around the world. Individuals, with specialized knowledge, experience or skills able to contribute and enhance the aims and objectives of the Institute are also invited to join. The International Institute of Marine Surveying as the professional body for marine surveying recognizes the need to promote the profession and the professionals within it to the highest level.
The Marine Surveying Academy Ltd (MSA) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the International Institute of Marine Surveying Ltd (IIMS) as is located at Portchester, Hampshire, UK. The MSA is being developed to meet the growing demand from a number of international marine organisations for specialised skills based training and accreditation schemes.
IIMS & MSA Programs
IIMS Commercial Ship Professional Qualifications (Level 4/5)
- Commercial Ship Professional Qualification in Marine Surveying (2 years): To achieve the qualification you are required to study and pass four core units plus an additional four specialist units of your choice from the twenty seven that are available. Students have two years to complete the course.
- Advanced Professional Qualification in Commercial Ship Marine Surveying (1 year): To upgrade your qualification to an Advanced Professional Qualification in Commercial Ship Marine Surveying, means a further one year of study and an additional four SPECIALIST units to pass.
- There are 4 Core units and 34 specialist units. Core and Specialist units are expected to take 60+ hours each to study, including completion of the assignment.
- If you travel, or spend time at sea, you can take the units with you to continue studying and make good use of your travelling time. The benefits of studying with the Institute are that you become a Student Member of the Institute whilst training and you can therefore participate in all the Institute activities, including one day training courses, seminars and conferences.
- The qualification is a level 4/5, just one below degree level and there are four intakes each year, so you can start the course in January, April, July and October to suit yourself.
IIMS Yacht & Small Craft Marine Professional Qualifications
- Professional Qualification in Yacht & Small Craft Marine Surveying (max 2 years)
- Advanced Professional Qualification in Yacht & Small Craft Marine Surveying (1 year)
- The Yacht & Small Craft Marine qualifications program is similar in structure to the Ship Surveying course above. To achieve the qualification you are required to study and pass four Core units plus an additional four Specialist units of your choice from the ten that are available. It is possible to upgrade your qualification to an Advanced Professional Qualification in Yacht & Small Craft Marine Surveying with a further one year of study and an additional four Specialist units to pass.
- The qualification is a level 4/5, just one below degree level. There are four intakes each year, so you can start the course in January, April, July and October to suit yourself. You need at least a Senior school education to include two or three A levels (or equivalent) in appropriate science subjects, a Level 3 Diploma qualification or an equivalent are necessary. Some experience of the marine environment, either leisure or commercial would be an advantage.
Marine Surveying Academy (MSA) Programs
- Registered Marine Coatings Inspectors (RMCI): The RMCI week long course, including a half day examination, is delivered by the Marine Surveying Academy at various locations in the UK, Europe and further afield. The standard is accredited by the International Institute of Marine Surveying and is jointly certificated by them and the Institute of Corrosion. Candidates for the RMCI course are expected to have a NACE, FROSIO or ICorr Level II qualifications or significant relevant industry experience.
- CMID Accreditation: The MSA was appointed by the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) to manage and deliver the IIMS Common Marine Inspection Document (CMID) accredited vessel inspectors (AVIs) scheme on behalf of IMCA. The CMID AVI scheme has been established on a worldwide basis with initial and refresher training courses being made available in all major regions where IMCA members operate. The eCMID applies to vessels 24m and over as well as +500GRT vessels. The Marine Inspection Document for Small Workboats (MISW – IMCA M 189) applies to vessels less than 24m in length.
- IRMII Program: The Marine Surveying Academy (MSA) organises and runs the International Registered Marine Insulation Inspectors program. The International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS), is the accrediting body for those who successfully pass the International Registered Marine Insulation Inspectors (IRMII) course. In conjunction with MSA, the IIMS invigilates and marks the examination paper, accredits and certificates successful candidates.
IIMS Online Seminars
- Report Writing Online Seminar
- Marine Surveying International Fest III 2020 (Yacht & Small Craft)
- Marine Surveying International Fest III 2020 (Commercial Ship)
- How to conduct a complete mast and rigging survey online seminar
- Introduction to yacht coatings
- Inspecting Critical Equipment on Crew Transfer Vessels
- Introduction to Yacht Coating Failures and Paint Defects
- Business compendium online seminar
- Gathering Evidence
- Certifying Authority Training Day
- Giving Expert Witness online seminar
- The Silver Lining for Shipping Industry, Post Covid-19 Era - Opportunities and Cautions
- Moisture Meters, new Tramex and osmosis
- Multiple Echo Thickness Measurement
- Surveying and Inspecting Small Craft Engines
- The latest in Ultrasound Measurement Tools