Boatmasters Licence, Maritime Studies & Rivers, Inland Waterways & Limited Distances to Sea Programs and Apprenticeships & STCW Courses at NMTC, North Kent College
North West Kent College is a college of Further and Higher Education and runs a wide variety of academic and vocational courses for over 4,000 full-time students from two main campuses approximately 12 miles apart in Dartford and Gravesend. North West Kent is also a leading provider of maritime education and practical training. It is located at North West Kent College’s Gravesend and Thameside campuses.
The National Maritime Training Centre (NMTC) is a leading provider of maritime education and practical training, providing up to date equipment and expert training using dedicated specialist classrooms, a Fire Training Ground and Thameside Jetty. Located at North Kent College’s Gravesend and Thameside campuses, it provides flexible training opportunities for individuals and companies in the Maritime industry.
The facilities at Thameside include: a fully fitted Global Maritime and Safety System (GMDSS) suite with the latest communication system; a fully operational Fleet-77 satellite terminal, which is licensed as a Coast Guide Station (CGS); bridge and engine-room simulators, incorporating three interlinked bridges; and a comprehensively equipped medical care instructional facility.
Maritime Programs / Apprenticeships
- MSQ Level 2 Diploma in Maritime Studies Boatmasters' Licence (BML): The BML qualification consists of a number of units leading to - Diploma in Maritime Studies Rivers, Inland Waterways and Limited Distances to Sea (Boatmaster Licence - BML) and is delivered as a 2 year program including block release over 12 weeks of 6 x 2 weeks at the NMTC.
- MSQ Level 2 Diploma or Certificate in Maritime Studies: This program offers apprentices the opportunity to develop nautical or engineering skills, in the workplace and at College. The qualification consists of a number of units leading to either - Award/Certificate in Maritime Studies Able Seafarer Deck or Diploma in Maritime Studies Able Seafarer Engine Room. The program is delivered over 2 years - block release of 12 weeks in 3 periods of 4 weeks.
- Officer of the Watch Level 3, Pathway 3: Officer of the watch (OOW) on Merchant Vessels of less than 500 gross tonnage (near coastal) including tugs, gives apprentices the opportunity to assist with bridge watchkeeping duties, steering and maintaining a course, mooring anchoring, and securing operations, following safe and environmentally friendly working practices. The program is 2 years including block release of 12 x1 week long periods.
- Maritime Caterer Level 2: The Maritime Caterer apprenticeship is a Level 2 qualification including the Award in Maritime Studies STCW Safety - SQA. Running over 2 years, the training is delivered at the NMTC and NKC's industrial training kitchens at Gravesend in 3 blocks of 4 weeks. It covers food purchase and storage; budgeting and menu planning specific to the needs of crew and passengers; and food storage for the fresh produce on board. Customer service is an important part of the role, along with a range of shipboard safety duties and responsibilities.
Boatmasters' Licence and Maritime Studies Qualification
- National Boatmasters’ Licence (BML)
- Maritime Studies Qualification (MSQ) pathway - Rivers, Inland Waterways and Limited Distances to Sea
Maritime Distance Learning
- Diploma in Crew Management & Agency
- Diploma in Marine Surveying
- Diploma in Small Craft Surveying
- Diploma in Ship Management
- Diploma in Ship Superintendency
- Diploma in Maritime Business Management
- Diploma in Marine Purchasing & Supply Management
- Diploma in Logistics Management
- Diploma in Port Management
- Diploma in Ship & Port Agency
- Diploma in Marine Accident Investigation
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Diploma in Maritime Management & Leadership
- Diploma in Surveying of Offshore Floating Units
- Diploma in Tanker Management
- Diploma in Maritime Safety Policies & Regulations
- Diploma in Naval Architecture
- Advanced Fire Fighting - Updating Training (1 day)
- STCW Combination Safety Course (5 days)
- Elementary First Aid (1 day)
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting - Updating Training (1 day)
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (2.5 days)
- STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (2.5 days)
- Medical Care on Board Ship (5 days)
- STCW Medical Care on Board Ship Refresher (3 days)
- Medical First Aid at Sea (4 days)
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (0.5 day)
- Personal Survival Techniques (1 day)
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques (Available for Updating Training) (1 day)
- STCW Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (1 day)
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (3 days)
- STCW Proficiency in Security Awareness (0.5 day)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (5 days)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats Refresher (Updating Training) (1 day)
Other Short Courses
- Ancillary Safety Course - Boatmasters' Licence(3 days)
- Basic Fire Awareness (0.5 day)
- Emergency First Aid at Work (1 day)
- First Aid at Work (3 days)
- First Aid at Work Refresher (2 days)
- GWO Marine Safety Transfer (1 day)
- GWO Marine Safety Transfer Refresher (1 day)
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (1 day)