Logistics and Supply Chain Management Education at Newcastle Business School
Northumbria University, located in the North East of England, is an expanding multicultural learning community, with excellent links with further and higher education, industry and commerce throughout the UK, Europe and beyond, and a member of the University Alliance.
The university is renowned for the excellence of its teaching, as well as for preparing students for the world of work; Northumbria also provides research opportunities for professional reflective practice.
Newcastle Business School is one of the largest Schools within Northumbria University. The school is one of the longest established business schools in UK. Newcastle Business School is in the top 10 for employability (6th) and 23rd (out of 93) for Business (The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2011). Newcastle Business School named UK’s Business School of the Year in 2015 by Times Higher Education (THE) Awards for Outstanding Support for Students. The School outperforms the sector average on Postgraduate taught, research and international students. With a diverse student population of 4,000, Newcastle Business School is an international business school at the heart of the North East region.
- BA (Hons) Business with Logistics and Supply Chain Management (3 years or 4 years with placement year): The program introduces you to the world of business whilst allowing you to combine key business subjects with the study of a specialism pathway, in this case Logistics and Supply Chain Management. It offers the ultimate in flexibility for students eager to enter the world of business. There is an opportunity to undertake a yearlong paid placement at the end of Year 2. Students will get full support from the Placements Office to obtain a placement to prepare them for final year studies and future employment.
- BA (Hons) in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (1 year Top-up): This degree studies the whole field of supply chain management, including Buying, Inventory Control, Supplier Development, Customer Service, Logistics and Distribution, and encourages the development of functional expertise and skills as well as the understanding of the strategic significance of the supply chain philosophy. The program aims to develop students who enter with a diploma level qualification in business, who wish to further their career in the field of logistics and supply chain management.
- MSc in Global Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management (1 year): This program is designed to focus on specific issues recognised within the industry to be the main challenges and is supported by a range of core NBS management modules that facilitate research and personal skills development. The newly revised structure recognises the growing importance of the cross functional link with marketing and the strategic partnerships and alliances (e.g. 3rd Party Logistics organisations) that help streamline operations in the supply chain.
- MSc in Global Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management with Study Abroad (2 years): This 2 year program, which is based on and taught in conjunction with the 1 year MSc Global Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management course, offers you the opportunity to undertake a period of study abroad during the second year.
- MSc in Global Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management with Advanced Practice (2 years): Based on, and taught in conjunction with, the established Global Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management 1 year program, this new 2 year version includes an additional semester of Advanced Practice. This permits you to expand on the knowledge and skills developed in Year 1 by undertaking either an internship with a company or to work in the Newcastle Business School Business Clinic which provides a consultancy service for local businesses.
- MSc in Business with Logistics and Supply Chain Management (1 year): The program has been developed for recent graduates in non-business disciplines who wanted to add a business dimension to their undergraduate specialism. This program has been very popular and has recently been extended by the addition of several pathways including Logistics and Supply Chain Management. Students choosing one of the pathways have the opportunity to carry out independent research in their preferred specialist area. To be successful on this program, you will need enthusiasm, commitment and a willingness to not only work hard but learn new ways of thinking.
Through the Subject Groups of Accountancy and Finance, Organization and HRM, Marketing Travel and Tourism, Strategic Management and International Business, Logistics and Supply Chain Management and Business Analysis and Information Systems, Newcastle Business School offers the full range of business and management education. Newcastle Business School delivers first class teaching in a world class environment, as 2007 saw the opening of the brand new £70 million iconic state-of-the-art development in the heart of Newcastle City Centre. Known as City Campus East, this futuristic development comprises 24,000 square meters of purpose designed academic accommodation at the cutting edge of design and technology.
- Campus: The Northumbria University and Newcastle Business School is located right in the heart of the regional capital of the North East of England - Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Accreditation: Northumbria University is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Newcastle Business School is accredited by Professional Bodies and EPAS (EFMD Program Accreditation System). Professional accreditation exists with The Chartered Institute of Purchase and Supply (CIPS) and The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT), the leading professional bodies within the subject area. Newcastle Business School has recently been awarded the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) double accreditation in business and accounting, Northumbria is part of an elite group of less than 1% of business schools worldwide.
- Research in Logistics & Supply Chain Management: Newcastle Business School’s Logistics and Supply Chain Management group is working with a large number of businesses to provide logistics and supply chain solutions. Many of these businesses were initially in the food industry but as environmental pressure have spread to other sectors; the team’s activity is evolving.
- International Corporate Partners: Newcastle Business School is partnered at postgraduate and undergraduate levels with leading companies on a national and global basis. Many of the programs incorporate company internships and the staff have been invited as guest lecturers at partner clients' headquarters as far away as Russia.
- Work Experience: If you're not sure what counts as work experience or the different options available to you then this is a good place to look. Details of placements, vacation work and voluntary work both at home and overseas can be obtained from the Career Center at the university.
- Housing: Northumbria University can house most new UK undergraduates and new overseas students who require accommodation and apply in good time. The University offers a range of Accommodation, some of which is managed by the University and some which is managed by private landlords in partnerships with the University.