RYA Watercraft proficiency, Powerboat Handling, Radar, Radio and Diesel Engine Courses in Porthmadog, Wales
Cased in Porthmadog, Waterwise Marine Training offers RYA Training programs in company boat on your own boat. Originally based on the Menai Straits it was relocated to Madog Boat Yard in Porthmadog. Porthmadog has a lit buoyed channel and good tidal flow for teaching in varied conditions.
The facility at Madog Boat Yard is is central heated, with views across the estuary, and there are showers for PWC courses and a kitchen for break time. Outside in the yard is an 8-tonne static crane, slipway, private pontoons and workshop.
Porthmadog has a lit buoyed channel and good tidal flow for teaching in varied conditions. Offsite they offer own boat tuition, safety boats and rib Charter in their 6.4m Coded Highfield RIB.
Waterwise have long standing relationships with Seadoo and Honda, when purchasing a new Honda Outboard over 50hp you are entitled to a Level 2 Powerboat Course paid for by Honda.
RYA Training Programs
- Personal Watercraft Proficiency Course: Whether you just want to have a go on holiday or buy your own machine, our Personal Watercraft course will teach you how to get the best from it. Our course is designed for first time and experienced riders alike. Increasingly our certificate is required for launching in UK harbours, but is also needed if you want to use your PW abroad.
- RYA Level 1 - Introduction to Powerboating: This course is an introduction to boating techniques for launching and recovering a boat from a road trailer, everyday boat handling and the use of safety equipment.
- RYA Level 2 - Powerboat Handling Course - ICC (2 days): This two-day entry level course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to drive a powerboat and is the basis of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). It focuses on low speed close quarters handling, man overboard recovery, an introduction to driving at planing speed and collision regulations.
- RYA Intermediate Powerboat Course: This course covers the practical use of pilotage and passage planning by day on coastal waters using both traditional and electronic navigational techniques. This course builds on the foundation knowledge of the Level 2 Powerboat Handling course and is suited to those who aim to drive larger more powerful powerboats. During the two days you will cover, cruising at planing speed and more advanced boat handling. It is recommended for anyone considering moving on to the Advanced course.
- RYA VHF Radio Course (SRC, DSC, GMDSS): The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine VHF radio equipment on a UK flagged vessel. The SRC course may be taken in a classroom or online through an RYA Recognised Training Centre. There is no age limit for taking the SRC course although exam candidates must be 16 years old on the day of the exam.
- RYA Radar Course: A one-day course giving you an understanding of radar as an aid to navigation and collision avoidance.
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course (1 day): This course teaches you how your engine works, how to keep it healthy by using basic checks and maintenance procedures, and how to get it started again in the event of a breakdown. Whether you sail a yacht with an auxiliary diesel engine or are a motor cruising enthusiast, this course could not just save you money, but one day could save your life.
LAST UPDATED ON Dec 18, 2020