Maritime Law, Shipping & Logistics Management, & Transport Education and Research
Cardiff University is recognized in independent government assessments as one of Britain's leading teaching and research universities. Founded by Royal Charter in 1883, the University today combines impressive modern facilities and a dynamic approach to teaching and research with its proud heritage of service and achievement. With over 28,000 students and 6,000 staff, the Cardiff University academic community is the size of a small town.
Many of the University’s degree schemes provide partial or complete exemption from relevant professional examinations and more than forty schemes of study benefit from accreditation and input from professional bodies. More than twenty per cent of Cardiff University students pursue postgraduate study. Research is undertaken in each of the 28 Schools, and at any one time there are more than 1,700 research contracts in operation. Cardiff is a member of the Russell Group of Britain's leading research universities.
Cardiff Business School at Cardiff University is one of the leading business schools in the UK and has a global reputation for research, teaching and learning. A faculty of international repute delivers high quality educational programs to 2,500 students a year, 700 of which are postgraduate students.Cardiff Law School offers postgraduate LLM courses that enable you to specialise in particular areas of law, and research degrees for those who want to study an aspect of law or law’s relationship with the world at a more in-depth level.
- BSc in Business Management (Logistics and Operations)(3 years, full time): Business-related degrees at Cardiff University focus on developing a solid core of knowledge in the area of business management. Students then build on this strong foundation to specialise in areas they find interesting and which reflect their career aspirations. The School also offers the opportunity to combine the study of Business with German, French, Spanish or Japanese, with a year spent abroad at a partner institution.
- BSc in Business Management (Logistics and Operations) with a Professional Placement Year (4 years, full time): This course provides students with the necessary business management skills and knowledge, both theoretical and practical, through the professional placement year, to take on responsible positions early in a variety of careers in various sectors of industry and commerce, and in various functional areas within organisations.
- LLM in Shipping Law (1 year Full-time, 2 years part-time): The LLM Shipping Law programme offers a detailed investigation of the theoretical and practical issues that arise within maritime law and can help students to develop the expertise necessary to become a specialist in this major area of commercial law.
- MSc in Maritime Policy and Shipping Management (1 year, full-time): The programmes is practically oriented and draws heavily on the research and consultancy of the Faculty, reflecting the University’s leading international position in the field of maritime affairs. The dissertation stage allows participants to further develop an area of special interest in the maritime field.
- MSc in Logistics and Operations Management (1 year, full-time): This course aims to provide students with a thorough understanding of the disciplines of logistics and operations management. Students study compulsory modules in operations management and logistics and supply chain management, and other modules from a range of options, designed to widen the range of expertise. Students are also required to write a dissertation on an approved topic.
- MSc in Transport and Planning (1 year, full-time): The program offers students an opportunity to study different aspects of transport (planning, policy, operation and management) as well as other areas of urban planning in general.
- PhD in Logistics and Operations Management (4 years full-time, 7 years Part-time): This program is for those who wish to pursue an academic or professional career in logistics and operations management and related areas of study. The route involves one year of research training followed by three years' work on your PhD topic. The training in the first year comprises of participation in general and subject-specific modules which leads to a Masters qualification in Social Science Research Methods.
Cardiff University Features
Cardiff Business School offers a range of degree programs at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level. The reputation of the School is reflected in the keen competition for places on its courses from students, not only from the UK but from all parts of the World. Entry standards are demanding and successful candidates are of a high caliber. The qualities of the programs of study, and the regard in which the graduates are held, have been recognized by many prospective employees.
- Campus: Cardiff University is located in Cardiff, is the capital, largest city and most populous county of Wales and the 10th largest city in the UK and about 124 miles (200 km) from London and easily accessible. The campus is at an outstanding central location amidst the parks, Portland-stone buildings and tree-lined avenues that form the city's elegant civic center.
- Accreditation: Cardiff University is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Cardiff Business School is a member of both the American-based AACSB International, The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business and of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD – EQUIS). Most of the Logistics & Shipping programs are accredited by Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).
- Honors & Distinctions: Since 1883 Cardiff University scientists and researchers have achieved prominence for their innovations, discoveries and advancements which have changed the face of their chosen areas of work and helped make Cardiff a world-leading institution.
- Cardiff Center for Lifelong Learning: The University’s lifelong learning activities also encompass the professional development work carried out by schools for employers, and many of these courses are custom-made to suit an individual company’s needs. The Center also offers business language training at all levels.
- Transport and Shipping Research Group: The Transport and Research Group is a multi-disciplinary unit consisting of well-established academics experienced in the fields of shipping, transport and logistics. Cardiff University has long enjoyed a reputation for maritime transport expertise stemming from the work of this Group. It has a long history of postgraduate education and many of its former research students now hold top positions in the maritime and transport industries, universities, the public sector, and research institutions round the world.
- Housing: A place in one of the University’s 5,300 study bedrooms is guaranteed to all first-year undergraduates entering through the normal admissions cycle. The vast majority of student residences are single en-suite study bedrooms in self catered flats - and students enjoy some of the lowest rents in the UK, according to a survey by the National Union of Students.