U.S. Coast Guard Approved Marine Training and ASA Approved Sailing programs in Sausalito CA
Established in 1983 and located at Sausalito CA, Modern Sailing School & Club (MSC) provides sailing and USCG approved maritime training for recreational and professional mariners. The beginning courses in sailing lessons are taught on 30 - 32 foot keelboats with wheel steering, inboard diesel engines, and roller furling jibs. These features will help build confidence right away. The high standards is sailing instruction have earned MSC accolades in the sailing community, including the American Sailing Association's 2004 and 2009 School of the Year award.
For over 12 years, Modern Sailing School has been training people to become Merchant Marine Licensed Professionals. Through rigorous United States Coast Guard training, you can realize your dreams of becoming a charter captain or sailing instructor. MSC also offers a selection of clinics to help you focus on improving targeted skills and these hands-on opportunities supplement your training and give you flexibility when looking for additional experience.
USCG Captains License Programs
- OUPV License (56 hours): The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (also known as the Six Pack License) course prepares you to meet the qualification requirements for a US Coast Guard OUPV License. The OUPV License allows you to take up to 6 passengers for hire on an uninspected vessel.
- 100 Ton License (80 hours): The 100 Ton Master's License course prepares you to meet the qualification requirements for a US Coast Guard Masters License in Near Coastal waters. The Master's License is awarded in 3 different tonnage categories - 25, 50 and 100 tons. The 100-ton license will allow you to operate commercial inspected vessels.
- The OUPV and 100 Ton Master License courses are offered in 2 different formats - a work friendly format (meeting on the weekends and week nights) and a 2 week intensive format.
ASA Sailing Lessons
- Basic Keelboat (ASA 101) - 2 weekends, Sat & Sun
- BASIC COASTAL CRUISING (ASA 103) - 2 weekends, Sat & Sun
- Basic Keelboat and Basic Coastal Cruising Combination Course (ASA 101, ASA 103) - 5 days, Mon - Fri
- Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104) - 3 days / 2 nights, Fri - Sun
- Bareboat Catamaran Cruising (ASA 104, ASA 114) - 5 days / 4 nights, Mon - Fri
- Cruising Catamaran (ASA 114) - 2 days, Sat & Sun
- Coastal Navigation (ASA 105) - 6 Evenings, Tues / Weds / Thurs
- Advanced Coastal Cruising (ASA 106) - 4 Days / 3 Nights, Thurs - Sun
- California Coastal Combination Course (ASA 105, ASA 106) - 7 days / 6 nights, Mon - Sun
Sailing Clinics and Short Lessons
- Introductory Sailing Lesson in San Francisco
- Angel Island Mooring Clinic
- Refresher Courses (Silver Fleet, Platinum Fleet and Catamaran Refreshers) - 1 day
- Docking Endorsement (ASA 118) - 1 day
- Gold Fleet Upgrade Clinic - 2 days
- Club Skipper Clinic - 1 day
- Sail Trim Clinic - 1 day
- Light Wind Sailing Techniques Clinic - 1 day
- Heavy Weather Sailing Clinic - 1 day
- Diesel Repair - 1 day
- Recreational Race Clinic
- Performance Race Clinic
- Instructor Qualifying Clinics
- Private Instruction
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 25, 2018