Translate to Your Language
Professional Mariner Degree & Certificate Programs, USCG Captains Licensing Courses, Seamanship, Cruising Powerboat & Sailing classes at OCC College and OCC School of Sailing & Seamanship
Orange Coast College, located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California’s beautiful beaches, was founded in 1948 with an opening day enrollment of 500 students. In the years since, it has grown into one of the nation’s largest - and finest - community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. The campus currently consists of 164 acres used for instructional facilities, athletic fields and parking areas. Orange Coast College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Featuring exceptional facilities and the latest in computer and high-tech equipment, OCC offers more than 130 academic and career programs, including one of the nation’s largest and most acclaimed public nautical programs. Nearly half the students on campus are enrolled in one of OCC's career and technical programs.
Orange Coast College offers over 50 Career & Technical Education programs. As never before in its history, America needs people who are trained in artistic, scientific, professional and technical fields. OCC offers a variety of programs combining theory, practical training and experience. OCC School of Sailing & Seamanship, located at Newport Harbor, provides various recreational courses for professional and novice boaters. The school also provides various career oriented commercial programs for those interested in the boating industry including USCG approved training.
Commercial Seamanship Career Programs
- AS Degree Program (Professional Mariner) - 60 Credits: The Professional Mariner Program prepares students for careers in the maritime industry in Southern California and around the world in private or commercial vessel operations: Large private yachts, Charter yachts, Cruise ships, Passenger ferries, Sport fishing, Commercial fishing, Whale watching, Dive boats, Supply vessels, Work boats, Tug boats, and Commercial shipping. These vessels must operate with qualified crew so the curriculum for the Orange Coast College Professional Mariner program was developed with guidance from an Advisory Council of maritime industry professionals who ranked skills and knowledge that they require in their deck crew. Upon completion of the program, there are employment opportunities with competitive salary. The program may be completed in two semesters. Courses may be taken individually and may be repeated. Upon completion of the Professional Mariner Level 1 Certificate, the student will have the information, training and practical skills to qualify for work as deckhand on private yachts or commercial vessels, with the capability to advance in a marine industry career. The student will have earned their STCW certificate for US Coast Guard Basic Safety Training.
- Certificate Program (Professional Mariner) - 19 to 21 Credits: Curriculum includes career path identification and job search preparation in the maritime industry, maritime environment, seamanship, marine safety, boat handling, navigation, and boat maintenance. In addition to lecture, most courses include hands-on practical exercises. Students must be able to swim 50 yards and tread water for 10 minutes. Previous boating experience is advantageous but not required. Program Outcomes include - Communicate verbally and in writing in a clear manner and with correct nautical protocol, Identify maritime career paths along with required U.S. Coast Guard licensing requirements, Demonstrate safe operation and maintenance of vessels, & Demonstrate prevention and safety response in First Aid, Personal Survival and Social Responsibility at sea, as well as fire prevention and response.
USCG Approved Courses for Professional Mariners
- US Coast Guard License Exam Prep (Master/Mate (near Coastal or Inland Waters or Operator, Uninspected Passenger Vessel - OUPV): The Master/Mate and OUPV courses are designed for power and sail boaters, commercial operators and yachtsmen wishing to pursue either a professional career, or part-time work in commercial vessel operations, including carrying passengers for hire, and recreational boaters wishing to increase both knowledge and skills. The course is available as a 2-week course with class meeting daily Mon-Fri, or a 5-week course meeting evenings and Saturdays.
- Radar Observer Unlimited (5 days)
- Radar Observer Refresher (3 days)
- Radar Observer Renewal (1 day)
Seamanship Courses & Seminars
- Cruising Seminars: All about anchoring, Catalina Island cruising seminar, and Channel Islands cruising seminar.
- Marine Diesel (1 day): You will learn how to bleed injectors, replace impellers, clean out heat exchangers, adjust belts, change fuel and water systems, and replace starters and fuel pumps.
- Marine Maintenance: Topics include - Marine Electrical Systems, Outboard Maintenance & Trouble Shooting, Marine Propulsion - Electric motors for sailboats, and Repair Paint & Varnish a Boat.
- Marlinspike Seamanship: Topics include - Knotting Made Easy, More Knots and Eye Splicing Laid Line, Seizing Whipping and Long Splices, Splicing Braided Line, and Decorative Knotting.
- Navigation/Radar/Radio: Topics include - Coastal Navigation 1, Coastal Navigation 2 with GPS, Coastal Navigation Certification, Celestial Navigation, Radar for Yachtsmen, and Marine Radio Operator’s Course.
- Standard First Aid with CPR/AED: Taught by an American Red Cross certified instructor this course will teach you the skills and give you the confidence necessary to respond appropriately to cardiac, breathing and first aid emergencies.
- Weather for Sailors: The main objective of this course is to explain Offshore, as well as Coastal weather for sailors, beginning to expert.
Sailing, Cruising & Powerboat Classes (US SAILING Approved)
- Getting Started
- Learn to Sail
- Keelboat Classes
- Basic Cruising
- Catalina and Channel Islands
- Bareboat Cruising
- California Cruising
- Class and Certification Challenges
- Small Powerboats
- Intro to Twinscrew Powerboats
- Cruising Powerboat Certifications