Nautical Science Training & USCG Licensing At USC Sol Price School of Public Policy (USC Price)
Located in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology and international trade, the University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. USC enrolls more international students than any other US university and offers extensive opportunities for internships and study abroad. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
Through its interdisciplinary approach, USC Sol Price School of Public Policy educates students to serve as innovators and leaders in their field. The school’s degree programs draw on the expertise of faculty and practicing professionals to create a learning environment whose breadth and depth sets USC PRICE apart from all schools of its kind. In 2008, USC PRICE ranked seventh nationwide among "America's Best Graduate Schools" for public affairs, according to US News & World Report.
University of Southern California is accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Nautical Science programs are approved by the US Coast Guard.
Academic & Training Programs
Nautical Science Programs
- Nautical Science: The Nautical Science program offers an experience-based approach to the sailing ship and seafaring. Participants learn offshore sailing theory and techniques, navigation and basic oceanography as relevant to seamanship. Classes are open only to registered students at USC. All Nautical Science (NAUT) classes are certified by the US Coast Guard. Completion of the program earns sea service credit of 58 days toward the Coast Guard License. Additional opportunities to earn sea time and enjoy recreational sailing may be found through crewing opportunities on large square rigged vessels and the USC Sailing Club. Following courses are offered:
- NAUT 001ax (Crew Level. No previous experience necessary)
- NAUT 001bx (Watch Captain Level - Prerequisite: NAUT 001ax or equivalent experience)
- NAUT 002a/bx Advanced Deep Water Cruising (Senior Skipper/Advanced Senior Skipper Levels - Prerequisites: NAUT 001ax and NAUT 001bx or equivalent experience)
- Each class offers both lecture and at-sea experiences in sailing and seamanship. Successful completion of the Nautical Science program also earns sea service credit of 180 days toward a U.S. Coast Guard License. Advanced students have opportunities to “ship out” as 1st Mate aboard the 51’ft wooden schooner Atlantas and crew aboard large square-rigged sailing vessels.
- US Coast Guard Masters license track: This is designed for USC students of any major and USC Naval ROTC students alike. Students who complete all the required courses will receive up to 277 sea service days of the 360 necessary to test for a Coast Guard license.
LAST UPDATED ON Aug 14, 2018