What is your Language? (Select to translate)
Offshore, Naval Architecture and Maritime Engineering & Energy Education in France
Founded in 1970, ENSTA who is also a founding member of ParisTech (hence ENSTA ParisTech), is one of the most prestigious and selective French engineering institutes called grande école. ParisTech (Paris Institute of Technology) is a federation of higher education engineering and business schools around Paris.
ENSTA ParisTech offers its students a broad education in engineering with the aim of enabling them to design, carry out and manage complex technical projects, while meeting economic constraints with international focus. The School provides high quality scientific and technological training, and keeps pace with changes in the cutting edge technologies in various fields.
ENSTA was created in 1970 through the merger of the École Nationale Supérieure du Génie Maritime and École Polytechnique, including a hydrographic engineering college. With 480 students and 100 foreign students (25% with30 nationalities), ENSTA ParisTech has more than 70 agreements with universities from 27 different countries including 18 double-degrees agreements in Europe, the Americas and Asia.
Offshore and Naval Architecture Specialization
- Diplôme d'Ingénieur 1st year is equivalent to the senior year of Bachelor of Science (BSc), the 2nd year is equivalent to 1st year of Master of Science (MSc) and the 3rd - final - year at ENSTA ParisTech is equivalent to 2nd year of MSc.
- Diplôme d'Ingénieur (First Year): The 1st year, which is equivalent to senior undergraduate year, is characterized by a strong core curriculum in science, which is the base of engineering such as solids and fluids mechanics, electronics, computer science, applied mathematics, chemistry, etc.
- Diplôme d'Ingénieur (Second Year- 1st year MSc): The 2nd year, which is equivalent to the 1st year of the Master’s part of the curriculum, starts with two and a half months of core science courses offered to students who have not spent their last undergraduate year at ENSTA to master the working. Students progressively specialize by taking a major according to their centers of interest and professional projects.
- Diplôme d'Ingénieur (Third Year - 2nd year MSc): The 3rd and final year which is equivalent to the 2nd year of the Master’s part of the curriculum, is dedicated to advanced specialization courses focused on industrial applications. Students have also the possibility to follow the final year of the MSc. program of a partner university in Paris (Research-oriented MSc or Professional-oriented MSc) in parallel of their final year at the school.
- The Diplôme d’Ingénieur curriculum ends with a final project which takes place during the entire second semester. It usually takes the form of a corporate internship as a junior engineer in a company, in France or abroad. It may also take the form of an advanced laboratory project in a research institute.
Masters Programs (English)
- Maritime Engineering - Transport Systems and Offshore Energies (METSOE) (1 year): The training offered by the Master "Maritime Engineering: transport systems and offshore energies" develops the knowledge and project management tools essential for a career in companies involved in maritime activities, whether engineering companies, oil companies, consulting or classification offices, or R&D departments.
Advanced Masters (Post MSc) Programs
- Advanced Master in Maritime Engineering - Transport, Energy, Sustainable Development (13 months): Conceived in close collaboration with players in the French maritime industry, the one-year ENSTA ParisTech Advanced Master in Maritime Engineering offers operational knowledge of naval and offshore construction and offshore resources engineering.
ENSTA ParisTech Admissions
International students willing to enter ENSTA ParisTech’s “Diplôme d’Ingénieur” programme with the purpose of obtaining the degree can enter ENSTA through two procedures:
- Entrance into the 1st year of the program through the French national Competitive exams (Concours Communs), for 3 years.
- Entrance into the 2nd year of the program (1st year of the MSc in Engineering) by application, for 2 years, with the following minimum conditions: applicants should have completed at least 4 years of university scientific studies (240 ECTS credits) before the start of the courses at ENSTA ParisTech; or, - Applicants should have a good knowledge of French. An intensive French language course is organized during the summer prior to the start of the courses.
- The vast majority of degree-seeking international students at ENSTA ParisTech enter the “Diplôme d’ingénieur” program into the 2nd year by application, many as exchange students from partner universities.
- French or foreign candidates holding a degree: Bac + 5 engineer, DEA or DESS, MSc degree or equivalent.
- French or foreign candidates holding a degree - Bac + 5 engineer, DEA or DESS, MSc degree... or equivalent; or Bac + 4 graduate with at least 3 years of professional experience.