Translate to Your Language
Merchant Marine, Offshore & Marine Engineering, Marine Surveying and Maritime Training at French Maritime Academy
The National Maritime College of France (ENSM) is a French Maritime Academy located at 4 campuses (Le Havre, Marseille, Saint-Malo & Nantes) and provides merchant navy education and advanced training in maritime and para-maritime occupations. Known as École Nationale Supérieure Maritime and formerly Ecole Nationale de la Marine Marchande (ENMM), the diplomas delivered by the ENSM allow to navigate on all seas, under all flags and on all types of merchant navy ships and vessels.
The training courses provided by the ENSM have to comply with maritime safety and security, commercial issues and sustainable development. The training courses are followed up by on board time, mainly under French flag which ranks sixth on the white list of the Memorandum de Paris. The ENSM employs experienced teachers from the maritime sector and researchers, and has specific educational and training facilities including navigation simulators, machinery simulators, ECDIS simulators, dynamic positioning simulators, and steam plants.
ENSM is a Nautical Institute and IMCA accredited for its DP center and certified by Lloyd's Register for its quality management system. ENSM has had the CTI (Engineer level qualification commission) approval since 2011 for the Merchant Marine First Class Officers qualification (01MM). The Training Center ENSM-CESAME in St-Malo trains seafarers, fishermen, ocean race sailors and young apprentices in abandoning ship, sea survival and sea rescue, in accordance with the STCW convention.
Education & Training Programs
- First Class Officer of the Merchant Marine (Diplôme d'Élève Officier de 1ère Classe de la Marine Marchande)(DEO1MM - 3.5 years): The merchant navy first class cadet officer diploma (O1MM) is awarded to the students who complete seven semesters of the first level and has obtained a minimum TOEIC score of 750 or a B2 level within the CECR (European language level). This includes theory, practice and sea time.
- Post Graduate Degree of Merchant Marines (Diplôme d'Études Supérieures de la Marine Marchande )(DESMM - 2 years): The merchant navy higher education diploma (DESMM) is awarded to the students who complete the four semesters of the second level (semester 8 to 12) and has obtained a minimum TOEIC score of 850 or a C1 level within the CECR (European language level). This includes theory, practice and sea time.
- From Deck Or Machine Officer Of The Watch To Merchant Navy Higher Studies Diploma (DESMM - 2 years): The merchant navy officers holders of a deck or engine officer of the watch certificate can apply in order to be admitted in the merchant navy higher studies diploma (DESMM) training course provided they have completed, all the required onboard time, succeeded in a preliminary exam, and completed a complementary training.
- Engine Room Watchkeeping Officer (8000KW - 3 years): Education and training for Watchkeeping officers and Chief Engineers 8000kw. After seagoing service as a trainee then as an engineer officer, a Chief Engineer certificate will be obtained following the three-year training. Depending on the Degrees or Certificates candidates have already obtained, they are entitled to credits
- International Deck Watchkeeping Officer (OCQPI - 3 years): The course will last three years and will be a certificated course. A significant part will be taught in English. The course is conducted at Le Havre campus.
- Preparatory Class to the International Deck Watchkeeping Officer (OCQPI): The preparatory class to the OCQPI and introduction to the maritime world training course prepares the candidates for the OCQPI degree course at the ENSM, Le Havre.
- Maritime Engineering - Eco Ship Management (Ingénieurs Maritimes Eco-Gestion Du Navire)(5 years): This is a full course over a five-year period of 10 semesters and validated by the CTI (Engineer Level Qualification Commission). It includes activities related to the sea, except ship navigation, mainly the clean and economically efficient ship. Within the framework of continuing education, the access to maritime engineering is a possibility for chief engineers and the holders of a merchant navy higher education diploma (DESMM). The course will take place on the Nantes campus.
- Offshore Engineering - Offshore Maintenance Management (Déploiement Et Maintenance Des Systèmes Offshore)(5 years): This is a full course over a five-year period of 10 semesters to work on offshore oil & gas installations and validated by the CTI (Engineer Level Qualification Commission). Within the framework of continuing education, the access to maritime engineering is a possibility for chief engineers and the holders of a merchant navy higher education diploma (DESMM). The course will take place on the Nantes campus.
Further Education Programs
- Marine Surveying Program: The National Maritime College (ENSM), Le Havre University and professional bodies have joined together to offer training to become a Marine Surveyor. The college degree in marine surveying enables professionals with relevant seagoing experience to change their career and work in a higher position.
Certification in Managing Operational Risks in Activities with Rapid Dynamics (Certificat de niveau 1 Gérer Les Risques Opérationnels Dans Les Activités À Dynamique Rapide): This course is open to anyone with a 5-year higher education background after the baccalaureate and is delivered on ENSM Le Havre campus and at Le Havre University. It focuses on helping them to increase the level of safety of their activity by giving them three essential additional competences in risk management and analysis.
Maritime Licensing Courses
- Captain 3000
- Captain Yacht 3000
- Chief Engineer 3000KW
- Chief Engineer 8000KW
- Chief Engineer Unlimited
- Preliminary Chief Engineer 3000KW
- Officer of the Watch Deck
- Preliminary Deck Officer of the Watch
- Electronic Systems Engineering Officer (EEO)
Maritime Continuing Education Courses
- Advanced training for chemical cargo operations
- Advanced training for liquefied gas tanker cargo operations
- Advanced training for oil cargo operations
- Automatic Radar Plotting Aid (ARPA)
- Auxiliary Power/Energy Courses
- Basic Training for liquefied gas tanker cargo operations
- Basic Training for oil and chemical cargo operations
- Company security officer (CSO)
- Dynamic Posisitioning Induction Course (DP Induction course)
- Dynamic Positioning Operator Master Course
- GMDSS Courses
- Human Factor Courses
- Medical II Refresher Course
- Medical III Refresher Course
- MRE - Marine Renewable Energies
- Port facility security officer (PFSO)
- Revalidation Chief Engineer & Second Engineer Certificate (≥ 3 000 kW) Course and test
- Revalidation Chief Engineer & Second Engineer Certificate (≥ 3 000 kW) Test
- Revalidation Deck Watchkeeper Certificate (> 500) - Course and Test
- Revalidation Deck Watchkeeper Certificate (> 500) - Test Revalidation CGO
- Revalidation Engine Watchkeeper Certificate - Course and test
- Revalidation Engine Watchkeeper Certificate – Test
- Revalidation Test – Deck Certificate
- Revalidation training and testing – Deck Certificate
- Security Courses
- Ship Handling
- Ship Handling - Ice navigation
- VTS - Vessel Traffic System
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 07, 2017