Translate to Your Language
Training & Career Opportunities as Deck & Engine Officers at James Fisher Group
Founded in 1847, The James Fisher Group of companies provide a cohesive range of specialist marine services which offer practical experience, innovation and commercial best practice to support all the clients’ projects and services. The company delivers a broad range of marine services from bases around the UK and in Scandinavia.
James Fisher owns and operates a current complement of 25 clean product tankers and also undertake the management of the Pacific Nuclear Transport Ltd fleet, a subsidiary company of British Nuclear Fuels Plc, who own a purpose built fleet of vessels. More than just a traditional shipowner Fisher delivers quality services to many facets of the marine industry.
Group companies include - James Fisher and Sons plc; James Fisher Everard Limited; FenderCare Limited; FenderCare Naval Solutions Limited; James Fisher Inspection and Measurement Services Limited; James Fisher Marine Services Limited; James Fisher Nuclear Limited; JF Faber Limited; James Fisher Offshore Limited; Buchan Technical Services Limited; RMSpumptools Limited; Scan Tech AS (Norway); James Fisher Shipping Services Limited; and Strainstall Group (Isle of Wight).
Training & Career Programs
- Cadets Training: James Fisher runs an active Cadet Training Scheme which mixes College based studies and time at sea which culminates in obtaining Officer of the Watch Certificate of Competency in Deck or Engineering plus a formal qualification of at least a HNC. To join you will need to be aged 16+ and have 5 GCSEs at C grade or above. These should include Mathematics, English and Science (preferably Physics) with two others. To join the Deck or Engineering Foundation Degree program you should have the GCSE grades indicated above and additionally Grade B in GCSE Mathematics and 120 UCAS Points (preferably in a relevant field of study).
- Sponsorship: You will receive tax free sponsorship and all College Halls of Residency are paid for including breakfast and evening meals. Additionally the company will fund all course and first attempt exam fees, uniform/PPE equipment, travel to and from college at the start and end of term, travel to and from the vessels and food during the sea phases.
- Colleges: At present the Cadet Training takes place at either Fleetwood Nautical College near Blackpool or, South Tyneside College, South Shields; and recruit cadets annually in January and September.
JAMES FISHER Group Companies
- Divex: Divex is recognised as a global industry leader in the design, supply and manufacture of diving and subsea equipment for the international market.
- Fendercare Marine: Fendercare Marine is a world-leading provider of high quality products, services and packaged solutions to the commercial marine, naval, offshore oil and gas and renewable energy industries.
- Fisher Offshore: Fisher Offshore provides the offshore, subsea and marine industries with a comprehensive range of quality equipment for sale and hire.
- James Fisher Defence: James Fisher Defence is a global subsea operations and engineering company. JFD is responsible for the delivery of all defence services, including Submarine Rescue Services, expertise and rescue equipment into the international defence market.
- James Fisher Everard: James Fisher Everard (JFE) has been operating tankers for over 50 years and presently operates a fleet of 19 double hulled product tankers.
- James Fisher Marine Services: James Fisher Marine Services Ltd (JFMS) provides and integrated solution of marine expertise, innovation and commercial best practice based on over 165 years of operational excellence.
- James Fisher Mass Flow Excavation: James Fisher provides subsea excavation with contactless Mass Flow Excavation systems, HydroDigger and TwinProp.
- James Fisher Mimic: James Fisher Mimic (JFM) has provided tailored software and services to enable the world’s maritime industry to attain value from their maintenance budgets.
- James Fisher Rumic: James Fisher Rumic (JFR) provides solutions for the offshore industry, offering a wide range of services in the supply of engineering and personnel, specialising in the application of remote technology.
- Maritime Engineers: Maritime Engineers is Australia's most prominent marine engineering consultancy providing ship surveys, engineering design and naval architecture and professional marine advice to the broader maritime industry.
- Osiris Marine Services: Osiris provides its clients with a one-stop service for all engineering requirements within environments of difficult access.
- Prolec: Prolec is recognised as a market leader in safety systems and machine productivity solutions for the construction industry and demolition plants.
- RMSpumptools: RMSpumptools is established as a world leader in Artificial Lift Specialist Completion Technology and Innovative Accessory Tools for Electrical Submersible Pumps.
- Scan Tech AS: Scan Tech has become Norway's leading provider of ATEX products and support services to the energy sector.
- ScanTech Offshore: ScanTech Offshore is the leading provider of air compressors, steam generators, rig cooling equipment and qualified personnel for the well testing market sector worldwide.
- Scotload: Scotload specialises in competitive load instrumentation and has a long-established history providing load measurement and monitoring solutions to many industries worldwide.
- Strainstall: Strainstall is an expert in all areas of load measurement, strain and stress determination.
- Subsea Vision: Subsea Vision is a specialist in providing reliable ROV systems, utilising proven cutting edge technology, together with highly experienced, qualified personnel for underwater surveys, inspections, construction and diver support, in the offshore oil and gas, hydro power and marine civil engineering industries worldwide.