Translate to Your Language
Training and Career Opportunities in Merchant Navy - Deck Officers; Engine Officers; Electro-Technical Officers; and Technical & Specialists
Viking Recruitment specializes in recruiting high caliber, STCW certificated Officers and Crew who are in ever-increasing demand in both cruise and yacht, following the growing sophistication, size, power and tonnage of these vessels, coupled with the ongoing safety regulations governed by the MCA. Viking has been supplying Deck, Engine, Technical Officers and Hospitality/Guest Services Professionals to ship owners world-wide since 1988.
Being one of a small group of government approved and audited Training Providers; Viking is able to obtain considerable grants which represent significant savings to Clients to offset training costs. This approval also enables Viking to administer Deck, Engine and Electro-Technical Officer Trainee (Cadet) training programs.
The Maritime Skills Academy (MSA) is a part of The Viking Family of Companies and provides training for the maritime industry with its extensive portfolio of MCA accredited STCW courses, refresher training and professional development courses.
Training & Career Programs
Officer Trainees (Cadets)
- Deck Officer - Foundation Degree in Marine Operations: This programs leads to full BSc (Hons) Marine Operations Management and MCA Certificate of Competency. Training is of a sandwich type, consisting of alternating college and sea phases. The overall duration for a deck officer is approximately 3 years. The initial qualification allows you to take a navigational watch on the bridge of a vessel at sea.
- Engine Officers - Foundation Degree in Marine Engineering: This programs leads full BEng (Hons) in Marine Engineering Management and MCA Certificate of Competency. Training is of a sandwich type, consisting of alternating college and sea phases. The overall duration for an engineer officer trainee is around 3 years. The initial qualifications allow you to be proficient in monitoring the engine room of a vessel at sea. In your cadetship and ongoing development you will learn the essentials of engineering knowledge including diesel propulsion, electrics, electronics and many other related topics.
- Electro-Technical Officers - Foundation Degree in Electronic Engineering: Training is of a sandwich type, consisting of alternating college and sea phases lasting approximately 2½ years. The initial qualification allows you to be responsible for the maintenance and repair of all electrical and electronic equipment, installations and machinery. This also includes radio communications and electronic navigations aids.
- Entry Requirements: Viking will consider applicants that are due to complete or who have completed their 'A' levels / 'Higher examinations and who have attained the industry recognized level of 120 UCAS Points.
Other Career Opportunities
- Deck Department: Those applying to the Engine Department positions will be aware of the approved certification requirements and generic job descriptions. The deck department is in charge of the safe navigation and well being of the vessel, its crew and passengers at all times. As well as working on the bridge, deck officers are required to supervise maintenance of the external decks and hull of the vessel, as well as provide safety training for all members of the crew. The job opportunities are for - Captain; Chief Officer; 2nd Officer; 3rd Officer; Safety Officer; Bosun; and Deckhand.
- Engineering Department: Those applying to the Engine Department positions will be aware of the approved certification requirements and generic job descriptions. The engine department holds overall responsibility for the daily operations and maintenance of the engineering, electrical and mechanical divisions of the vessel. The opportunities are for - Chief Engineer; 2nd Engineer; 3rd Engineer; 4th Engineer; Day Service Engineer; Hotel Engineer; and Motorman/ Fitter.
- Technical & Specialist: Those applying to other technical / specialist positions would require specific trade experience and qualifications relevant to the vacancy. The opportunities are for - Electrical Officer; Electronic Officer; Electro Technical Officer; Communications Officer; Environmental Officer; IT Officer; Lift Technician; Security Officer; Refrigeration Engineer; ROV Operator; Helicopter Pilot; and Facility Manager.
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 15, 2017