Translate to Your Language
Merchant Marine Career & Training Opportunities for Deck Officers and Engineers at AP Moller Maersk Group
Founded in 1904, Maersk is a worldwide conglomerate devoted to the shipping, energy and related industries. The container shipping lines, tanker business and Logistics Company move a large share of the world’s products around the globe. The oil and gas company supplies energy from sources in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Other Maersk business units provide supply, drilling, towage and emergency services, and include a significant European retailer.
AP Moller-Maersk, one of the world’s largest shipping companies and operates over 500 container, 56 supply, 32 tankers and 9 gas carriers and employ over 110,000 people worldwide. Maersk Marine Services recruit both experienced seafarers and cadets to join its modern and diverse fleet. There are a number of routes to qualification for both deck officers and engineers. Each program is fully sponsored. Each training course requires different entry qualifications.
Training & Career Programs
- NVQ/HND Nautical Science and MCA Certificate of Competency: A sandwich based course, taught at a nautical college in the UK and onboard vessels. Approximately 3 years in duration and subjects include - Cargo work, Bridge watchkeeping, Chartwork, Meteorology, Tides & Sailings, Ship stability, Maritime Law, Passage Planning and Shipboard management. Entry Requirement - 5 GCSE/Standard Grades in Mathematics, Physics or Double Science, English plus two others at grade C or above.
- NVQ/HND Marine Engineering and MCA Certificate of Competency: A sandwich based course, taught at a nautical colleges in the UK and onboard vessels. Approximately 3 years in duration and subjects include - Applied mechanics and heat, electrics, thermodynamics, marine propulsion systems, instrumentation and control systems, and engineering design. Entry Requirement - 5 GCSE/Standard Grades in Mathematics, Physics or Double Science, English plus two others at grade C or above.
- Foundation Degree Marine Operations and MCA Certificate of Competency: Approximately 3 years in duration and taught at a nautical college. Sandwich based scheme including subjects in - Navigation, Ship Operation, Shipboard Management, Meteorology, Cargo Operations, Navigation and Voyage planning. Entry Requirement - 180 UCAS points at A-Levels/Highers and have 5 GCSE/Standard Grades in Mathematics, Physics or Double Science, English plus.
- Foundation Degree Marine Engineering and MCA Certificate of Competency: Graduates from this course will gain a foundation degree initially and then have the opportunity to top this up to a full honours degree. Modules include - Mathematics, Electrics, Propulsion Systems, Thermodynamics, ship construction, workshop skills and mechanics. Entry Requirement - If you have at least 180 UCAS points at A-Level/Highers and 5 GCSE/Standard Grades including Mathematics (grade B), Physics or Double Science and English grades C or above, then you can apply to us for sponsorship on this course.
- BEng Marine Engineering and MCA Certificate of Competency: If you have at least 180 UCAS points at A-Level/Highers and want to study for an engineering qualification, by combining academic studies with onboard training, this could be the qualification for you.
- BSc Nautical Studies and MCA Certificate of Competency: A program designed for both those wishing to go to sea to train as officers, or those who want to become involved in the shore based sector at managerial level. Subjects include - Shipboard Operations, Marine Navigation, Economics, Maritime Law, Port Operations and Naval Architecture. Entry Requirement - If you have 200 UCAS points at A-level standard or equivalent, including Mathematics, and are keen to combine an academic university course with placements at sea during vacations this course is for you.
Other career Opportunities
- Senior Officers
- Junior Officers
- Chief Engineers
- Fleet-Wide Ratings