Pleasure Craft and Boat Education & Training Regulations and Certifications in Sweden
Established in 1985, the Swedish Council for the Education and Training of Yachtsmen (Nämnden för båtlivsutbildning, NFB) is a non-profit organization and establishes requirements for boating training and regulates official competencies for driving recreational boats in Sweden.
NFB is a result of the cooperation between The Swedish Transport Agency, Swedish Cruising Association, Swedish Sailing Federation and Swedish Yachting Association.
The Coastal Yachtmaster Diploma is compulsory according to Swedish regulations to master a Swedish pleasure yacht with a maximum length of at least 12 meters and a maximum width of at least 4 meters (12×4). The Diploma is not compulsory for vessels of less than 12×4 meters.
Swedish Yacht Training Certifications
- Inshore Yachtmaster Diploma: The Inshore Yachtmaster Diploma certifies that the holder has the knowledge required to handle pleasure crafts on inland waterways, in sheltered waters and close to land.
- Practical Boat Training Diploma: The holder has performed the following - Reading a chart, pointing out physical objects marked on a chart and vice versa; Steering by compass and checking of compass in leading line; Navigation in marked waters; Terrestrial position fix; Man overboard maneuver; Maneuvers to experience rudder and propeller effects; Berthing and leaving a berth etc.
- Coastal Yachtmaster Diploma: The Coastal Yachtmaster Diploma is required to master a Swedish pleasure yacht with a length over all at least 12 meters, and a width over all of at least 4 meters, (12×4 m).
- Practical Boat Training at Night: The holder has performed the following -Planning and selection of suitable charts for intended passage; Navigation in channel lit by lights; Identification of lights by their characteristics; Use of sector boundaries (w/r and w/g) when navigating; Measuring distances at night; Man overboard maneuver, recovering fender or similar fitted with a light; Use of modern navigational aids (e g GPS, plotter, radar) and awareness of the reliability and shortcomings of such devices etc
- Boat Mechanic Diploma: The Offshore Yachtmaster Diploma covers the knowledge and proficiency required to undertake a passage in a pleasure craft in continental coastal waters.
- Canal Diploma: The Canal Diploma, in conjunction with the Inshore Yachtmaster Diploma or Coastal Yachtmaster Diploma and the Practical Boat Training Diploma, entitles the holder to travel on inland waterways in Europe.
- Radar Diploma: The Radar Diploma covers theoretical and practical knowledge of radar navigation and its use on passage.
- Boat Handling Diploma: This diploma covers the driving and handling of high speed planning boats.
- Yachtman´s Diploma 1: Handling a small sailing craft in sheltered waters in good weather conditions.
- Yachtman´s Diploma 2: Handling a yacht under power and under sail in sheltered waters in variable weather conditions.
- Yachtman´s Diploma 3: Handling a large cruising yacht under power and under sail in sheltered or open waters in variable weather conditions.
- SRC, Short Range Certificate (VHF Certificate): The certificate is international, and entitles the holder to operate the international maritime VHF band.
- LRC, Long Range Certificate (VHF, MF and HF-Certificate): The certificate is international, and entitles the holder to operate the international maritime VHF, MF and HF bands. Moreover, the certificate also entitles the holder to use DSC equipment on these bands.