Online Maritime Operations & Advanced Navigation Meteorology Education and MetOcean Training
Established by IMarEST in 2014, MLA College provides distance learning degrees and higher education qualifications in Partnership with Plymouth University. You can study whenever and wherever you want through the distance learning technology. Whether you are at sea, or in a full-time job, you can gain the qualifications you need to advance your career. These types of qualifications can also contribute to your development in ultimately reaching Chartered status.
In the UK, Plymouth has a strong record of excellence, enterprise and innovation across its teaching, learning and research activities. Plymouth is ranked within the top 50 research universities in the UK and one of the top 10 modern UK universities as detailed in the Times Higher Top 100 Under 50 world rankings.
Work-Based Learning (WBL) / Work Related Learning (WRL), in its various forms, are one of the major defining characteristics of the courses. It plays a central role in enabling you to apply academic study to workplace environments and problems. In turn, your program of study should enable you to integrate knowledge and skills developed in WBL / WRL into your project work and study in taught modules.
Education & Training Programs
Bachelor Degree Programs (Distance)
- BSc in Sustainable Maritime Operations: This qualification is aimed at those wish to gain a full Bachelor’s degree, possibly upgrading from another previous achievement, e.g. Foundation degree. It will particularly suit those with a professional experience in the maritime world or an academic interest in the subject. All applicants must have GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics and English at grade C or above.
Postgraduate Programs (Distance)
- MSc in Sustainable Maritime Operations: This course is particularly suitable for middle to senior management grades with marine companies and organizations in the areas of ship management, port operations, marine renewable, offshore oil & gas, engineering and defense. Students are admitted to the MSc on the basis of one of the following - A diploma/foundation degree (FdSc/HND) in Marine Engineering/Navigation Science (or equivalent) plus at least two years work experience as a senior officer (2nd officer and above). OR A relevant undergraduate degree. OR Portfolio accreditation of Accredited Prior Learning (APL) and relevant work experience.
- Master of Business Administration (Maritime Operations): A top-up Masters degree is the research project phase (60 level 7 credits) of the program aimed at those wishing to gain a full UK Postgraduate degree, possibly upgrading from another previous achievement. Entry requirements is a postgraduate qualification such as PG Diploma but will depend on the applicant’s existing qualifications and professional experience.
- MSc Advanced Navigation for Professionals: The program consists of a stand-alone 60 credit research module, which provides the opportunity to complete a full 180 credits at Level 7 for - predominantly employed individuals working as professional mariners, who have studied up to PGDip level to date. or students wishing to apply using general credit from other PGDip or full MSc programs at other institutions, or as professional mariners.
- MSc Engineering for Marine Professionals: The MSc Engineering for Marine Professionals programme consists of a stand-alone 60 credit research module, which provides the opportunity to complete a full 180 credits at Level 7 for - Predominantly employed engineering professionals seeking Chartered status OR Employed professional students from the marine industry who may be qualified to BEng Level and have a significant level of professional experience OR Students wishing to apply using general credit from other PgDip or full MSc programs at other institutions, or as professionals from industry.
Other Distance Courses
- DipHE Hydrography for Professionals
- BSc (Hons) Global Sustainable Development
- PgDip Advanced Hydrography for Professionals
- MSc Advanced Hydrography for Professionals
- PgCert Sustainable Maritime Operations
- PgDip Sustainable Maritime Operations
- MSc Sustainable Maritime Operations
- MSc Advanced Hydrography for Professionals
- MSc Advanced Meteorology for Professionals
- MSc Advanced Oceanography for Professionals
Other Training Courses
- MetOcean Awareness
- Maritime Cyber Security
- Introduction to Finance
- Leadership & Management