Translate to Your Language
Maritime & Ship Engineering Education in Russia
Admiral Makarov State University of Maritime and Inland Shipping (SUMIS) was established in 2012 by merging of two famous higher educational institutions – the Admiral Makarov State Maritime Academy and the Saint-Petersburg State University for Waterway Communications. Foreign students from more than 38 countries receive higher professional education at Admiral Makarov SUMIS.
Founded in 1876, Admiral Makarov State Maritime Academy is a federal institution of higher professional education and one of the largest centers of maritime science which trains professionals for civil and merchant fleet. It is located in St. Petersburg, Russia. The pride of the Academy is the scientific schools created by the famous professors. Admiral Makarov State Maritime Academy has become the cradle for thousands of marine engineers, who contributed to the glory of Merchant Marine and marine science. “Мakarovka” has always held a special position among maritime training institutions of the country. Academy is the first and the only higher MET institution in Russia which trains engineers for ships having nuclear power plants. Until now it is the only higher MET institution which provides targeted training of personnel to serve the Northern Sea Route. The Academy provides traditional education and wide range of post-graduate training and runs retraining courses.
- Bachelor's program (4 years) - Water Transport Management and Hydrographical Servicing of Shipping: Hydro graphic Servicing of Shipping and Marine Engineering Research.
- Master's program (2 years) - Water Transport Management and Hydrographical Servicing of Shipping: Hydro graphic Servicing of Shipping and Marine Engineering Research.
- Post Graduate Study (3 years) - Water Ways and Hidrography: The curricula is targeted for the training hydrographers whose professional activity covers description of the World Ocean water objects: searching for and exploration of underwater objects, ocean floor researching, hydrographical charting, equipping of the water ways with light houses and buoys for the safety of shipping and operation of constructions at sea.
Ship's Power Supply and Propulsion Systems Faculty
The Faculty of Ship’s Power Supply and Propulsion Systems provides training for engineers. To become ship engineers the cadets of the Faculty study ship internal combustion engines, ship turbines, auxiliary machinery, boilers, refrigeration systems and other subjects on their major. To become ship electrical engineers the cadets study the theory of electrical engineering, automation, electronics, computers, electrical machinery, ship power systems, propulsion electrical plants and other subjects on their major. Specialization 180403.65, 180404.65, 180405.65, 180407.65:
- Operation of ship power plants
- Operation of ship nuclear power plants
- Operation of ship electrical and automation equipment
- Operation of electrical and automation equipment for ships with nuclear power plants
- General Engineering
- Navigation and Radio Communication