Translate to Your Language
International Shipping & Transport Logistics; Global Supply Chain Management; Logistics Engineering and Management; Maritime Studies & Law Education and Research at PolyU
Founded in 1937, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) specializes in professional education and the largest publicly funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong in terms of student population. PolyU has an international community with over 1,000 international students from over 40 countries and over 1,200 academic staff. The University’s teaching units are grouped under six faculties and two schools, each with its own unique strength. Programs offered are designed with a focus on application and industrial relevance to ensure the graduates are prepared for the workplace.
With over 170 programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels PolyU is the sole provider in Hong Kong offering full-time Bachelor's degree programs inDesign, Fashion and Textiles,Geomatics, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Physiotherapy, Veterinary Nursing, and many other disciplines. The programs are flexible and can be taken as Double-Degree Options and Major/Minor Combinations.
To cope with the rapid development of logistics in Hong Kong and the Chinese Mainland with mounting demand for talents, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) established the Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies. Currently, PolyU is the sole provider of maritime education at the tertiary level in Hong Kong.
- BBA (Hons) in International Shipping and Transport Logistics (4 years): This program equips graduates with a wide knowledge of maritime transport and logistics within a general broad perspective of international transport and trade, and with the skills that are necessary to understand and manage maritime organizations and personnel. The program provides a well-rounded business education, along with an opportunity to specialize in international shipping and logistics management.
- BBA (Hons) in Global Supply Chain Management (4 years): This program provides a well-rounded business education along with an opportunity to specialize in SCM. The curriculum design meets the current and future needs of SCM expertise in Hong Kong, building skills and knowledge in operations management, information technology, cross-functional management, international business, transport logistics, etc. The program emphasizes active student participation and industry collaboration.
- BSc (Hons) in Logistics Engineering with Management (BSc LEM) or BSc (Hons) in Enterprise Engineering with Management (BSc EEM) (4 years): This program aims to produce logistics engineers and professionals who are competent in the design, implementation, control and execution of logistics systems and related technologies, and to develop the ability of students to manage complex systems of business, logistics and technology for increasingly technology-enabled logistics businesses.
Postgraduate Programs (Taught)
- MSc / PG Diploma in International Shipping and Transport Logistics (2 years, full-time): The MSc/PgD in International Shipping and Transport Logistics is a unique postgraduate program and focuses on the highly specialized field of shipping and logistics. Its curriculum has been developed in association with many leading experts from Hong Kong's shipping and logistics industries and as a result, the program embodies a sound balance between academic theory and professional practice. Students can enjoy the flexibility of studying the program at their own pace, with classes taking place mostly on weekday evenings and weekends throughout an academic year, including an optional Summer Term.
- MSc / PG Diploma in Global Supply Chain Management (2.5 years for MSc, 1.5 years for PgD, part-time): This program is for executives in the fields of supply chain management and logistics. It is designed to equip students to meet current and future needs in the supply chain management profession by creating and sustaining competitiveness in the supply chain through cost, quality and efficiency. It also provide students with a thorough grounding in subjects which lead to the knowledge and intellectual capability required for the understanding and critical analysis of supply chain management problems.
- MSc / PG Diploma in Industrial Logistics Systems (1 year full-time, 2 years part-time, mixed mode): The programme is designed for the transformation of logistics industry under the new economy. It aims to provide students with the use of information technology and managerial approaches in improving inbound logistics, production and outbound logistics so as to create value for the customers.
- MSc / PG Diploma in Supply Chain and Logistics Management (1 year full-time, 3 years part-time): The MSc introduces participants to tools and techniques that can be used to evaluate, manage and improve service, operational and supply chain processes, and conduct market analyses. Participants will acquire knowledge on how to evaluate and manage appropriate enabling technologies and use enterprise resource planning systems to improve the operational functions of a business. They will also develop a wide knowledge of strategy development and design.
Postgraduate Programs (PhD / MPhil)
- 2+3 Integrated Program (2-year MPhil followed by a 3-year PhD program) or Direct-entry PhD Program
- Maritime Law and Shipping Finance
- Maritime Studies
- Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Transport and Logistics Management
POLYU Hong Kong Features
Hong Kong Polytechnic University has many state of the art facilities to meet the learning needs of the students. A multi-disciplinary Industrial Center offers on-site practical training. The fully operational teaching and research hotel, Hotel ICON further reinforce its position as one of the best hospitality education and research centers in the world. An Innovation Tower is being built to facilitate further inter-disciplinary research and design education, reinforcing Hong Kong as Asia's design hub.
- Campus: The PolyU campus is strategically located in Hung Hom, Kowloon, on a 23 acre site adjacent to the Cross Harbor Tunnel in Hong Kong. A full range of campus services including restaurants, bookstore and banks are also provided. Student hostels are located close to the campus.
- Accreditation: Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a public university in Hong Kong. Graduates of the MSc programs have been granted full exemption from the Qualifying Examination of The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in Hong Kong and by The Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS).
- Maritime Center: With the passion for creating a world-class heartland of maritime studies, education and consultancy in the Asian region, the Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies (LMS) established the C.Y. Tung International Centre for Maritime Studies. It provides education, research and consulting services to the maritime community in Hong Kong and in the region.
- Career Training Workshops: Career Development Services Section (CDS) has designed the Career Training Workshops/Seminars provide each of the PolyU students with the appropriate level of training to meet the career development needs and more importantly this also enables to help you to equip yourself with workplace skills and professional attitude that your future employers require.
- Work-Integrated Education (WIE): With the aim to help students to be all-round students with professional competence and to produce preferred graduates, all students taking UGC-funded undergraduate degree programs should complete a mandatory Work-Integrated Education (WIE) component as part of the curriculum requirement.
- Work-on-Campus: It provides campus work opportunities to needy students to afford daily expenses by engaging in departmental work and serving the university community on a part-time/temporary basis. All full-time sub-degree, undergraduate and taught postgraduate students are eligible for this Scheme.
- Preferred Graduate Development Program (PGDP): The 'Preferred Graduate' Development Program (PGDP) is a summer internship program organized by SAO which aims to offer offshore opportunities where students learn by taking on responsible roles working in organizations and observing and reflecting on their experiences.
- Study Abroad: Even if your institution is yet to be a partner institution of PolyU, you can still enjoy a stimulating exchange experience at PolyU through Study Abroad. It is one of the best ways to enrich your global outlook and immerse yourself in a different culture.
- Student Exchange: If you are a student from the partner institutions and prefer to study at PolyU for a shorter period, you may apply for the Student Exchange program. The program is one of the best ways to broaden your global outlook and allow yourself to experience a different culture overseas within a shorter timeframe. Each year, there are about 550 international exchange students at PolyU and also send a similar number of PolyU students abroad in this program.
- Housing: You can truly immerse yourself into the lifestyle of a PolyU student by staying at the Student Halls of Residence. It is probably the largest single block of hall premises in the world and houses over 3,000 student residents. All rooms are fully furnished with a shared bathroom between two adjacent rooms. Each room is air-conditioned and equipped with broadband Internet access.
LAST UPDATED ON Dec 14, 2017