Translate to Your Language
Marine Operations Management, Marchant Marine, Maritime Studies, STCW and Local Training Programs in Hong Kong
The Maritime Services Training Institute (MSTI), previously known as Seamen's Training Center, was established in 1988 to provide a wide range of courses for new entrants, local and foreign in-service seafarers, and employees of marine-related and shore-based industry. Through the Maritime Services Training Board, the Institute has maintained close relationships with the industries and has continuously provided quality training to satisfy the manpower and training needs of related fields.
Located in Tai Lam Chung, Tuen Mun, MSTI has a net area of 16,000 square meters offers both pre-employment and in-service training courses. Its training capacity reaches a total of 6,000 trainees each year. The programs that MSTI provides include the 3-year full-time Higher Diploma Courses in Maritime Studies, new entrant day courses and modular day courses for deck cadet officers, local and foreign in-service seafarers, and employees of marine-related and shore-based industries. Besides, MSTI provides tailor-made safety training courses to meet the requirements of corporations.At present, the MSTI is the sole institution approved by the authorities to provide various specific mandatory training courses as required by the STCW, Merchant Shipping Regulation, Shipping & Port Control Regulation and Factories & Industrial Undertakings Regulation.
MSTI is a part of the Vocational Training Council (VTC) is the largest vocational education, training and professional development group in Hong Kong.Established in 1982, VTC provides valuable credentials for some 230 000 students each year through a full range of pre-employment and in-service programs with internationally recognized qualifications.
- Higher Diploma in Maritime Studies (3 years): The program provides the professional knowledge and practical training on shipboard operations and practices in maritime industries. Its aims are to prepare students for pursuing further study and careers in seafaring and marine-related sectors. Upon completion of the course, students may pursue further study or serve in merchant navy as deck cadets. They may also find their job opportunities in marine consultancy companies, warehouses & container terminals, bunkering & ship supplies companies, ship agency & management companies, stevedoring & cargo forwarding agency companies etc.
- Certificates for Junior General Purpose Ratings (23 weeks): The objective of running the program is to supply properly trained and qualified personnel to fulfill the manpower demand of the marine industry and to meet the local and international training standards for general purpose ratings. Besides, the course provides also opportunities for young people, who prefer to choose alternative routes for their career development. At present, the majority of graduates serve on local tugs, bunker barge, harbor ferries and HK-Mainland and HK-Macau high-speed ferries. Having gained required sea experience, graduates may appear for examinations leading to Certificates of Competency, Class 3 Deck Officer (River Trade) or Grade 3 Coxswain (Local Vessel).
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Marine Operations Management - 8 month regular face-to-face evening lessons (on-campus) & 10-month work based projects (off-campus): The School for Higher and Professional Education (SHAPE) and the Warsash Maritime Academy of Southampton Solent University, United Kingdom has jointly launched this top-up degree in Hong Kong for students to enhance their existing qualifications and gain a competitive edge in their career progression.
- Professional Diploma in Marine Operations and Professional Certificate (12 to 15 months): This program is for students to enhance their maritime knowledge and increase their competitiveness with higher academic qualifications for further career advancement. Graduates from the PDMO progra may articulate to the top-up degree “Bachelor of Science (Hons) Marine Operations Management” (BScMOM) program jointly offered by VTC and the Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA) of Southampton Solent University (SSU), United Kingdom.
- Upgrading Course for Certificates of Competency (CoC) Class 3 (Engineer)
- Upgrading Course for Certificate of Competency (CoC) Class 3 (Deck)
Local Craft Training Courses
- Shipboard Cargo Handling Basic Safety Training Course
- Basic Handling of Dangerous Goods (Local Vessel) Course
- Shipboard Cargo Handling Basic Safety Training (Refresher) Course
- Works Supervisor Safety Training Course - Cargo Handling
- Works Supervisor Safety Training Course - Marine Construction
- Works Supervisor Safety Training Course - Ship-repairing and Ship-breaking
- Shipboard Crane Operators Safety Training (Refresher) Course
- Shipboard Crane Operators Safety Training Course
- Marine Department Approved Training Courses
- Navigational Watchkeeping for Local Craft Ratings
- Engine-room Watchkeeping for Local Craft Ratings
- Basic Safety Training for Local Craft Ratings
- Efficient Deck Hand for Local Craft Ratings
- Preparatory Course for Examination Leading to Local Craft – Engine Operator Grade 3, Certificate of Competency
- Oil Carrier Safety Training (Local Waters)
- High Speed Craft Radar Simulator Course
- Preparatory Course for Examination Leading to Local Craft – Coxswain Grade 3, Certificate of Competency
- Refresher Course for Coxswains of Local Vessels
- Basic Radar Operator Course
- Elementary Radar Operation (HK Waters)
- Personal Survival Techniques (Local Craft)
- Fire Fighting (Local Craft)
- River Trade Operational Use of Electronic Chart Display and Information System
- Certificate in Basic Training for Local Craft Ratings (CBTLCR)
- Oil Carrier Safety Training (Local Waters) (Renewal)
- Elementary Radar Operations (Advanced) (Hong Kong Waters)
- Basic Training for Oil and Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations
- Crowd Control & Crisis Management Training
- Efficient Deck Hand
- Elementary First Aid and Proficiency in Medical First Aid (Combined)
- Fire Prevention, Fire Fighting and Advanced Fire Fighting (Combined)
- GMDSS General Operator Certificate
- GMDSS Restriced Operator Certificate Course
- Maritime Resource Management
- Operational Use of Electronic Chart Display Information System
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency in Medical Care
- Proficiency in Ship Security Officers Course
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats
- Radar Navigation at Management Level
- Radar Navigation at Operational Level (Formerly known as "Radar Navigation, Plotting and Use of ARPA")
- Refresher Training (STCW 2010 Amendments)
- Security Awareness Training for All Seafarers
- Security Training for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties
LAST UPDATED ON Dec 15, 2017