Training Programs for Engineers, Oil & Gas Technology Programs & Professional Development, Assessments and Certifications, and Virtual Training Programs in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia
Established in 1981 and located in Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia, Institut Teknologi Petroleum Petronas (INSTEP) accelerates human capital development in the oil & gas industry through experiential learning, delivering customized niche programs, anchored on world-class facilities, and industry-experienced instructors, further supporting the exceptional growth of the oil & gas industry.
INSTEP has grown into an internationally recognized technical learning solutions partner with customers' presence from over 35 countries, and produced more than 130,000 job ready technical workforces serving in more than 30 refinery & petrochemical plants and 100 production platforms globally.
INSTEP’s Upstream Downstream Training Plant (UDTP) , located in INSTEP, provides a conducive learning environment through holistic instructional approach. Managed by the Training Plant & Operation Department (TPO), learners perform real activities on a live plant to enhance their competency through hands-on training as well as experiential learning guided by experienced and qualified instructors.
The Downstream Training Plant consists of two main processing units, a Crude Distillation Unit (CDU) and a Hydrotreater Unit (HTU). The CDU replicates a simplified refinery fractionation unit while the HTU provides learners with practical experience of reforming and hydro treating activities in the downstream sector of hydrocarbon processing. Both downstream plants utilize Mono-Ethylene glycol mixture as their processing medium at low pressure and temperature, again, ensuring safe working conditions for the learners.
- Conversion Training for Fresh Engineers, Technicians and Operators (1-2 years)
- Petroleum Technology Program 1 (PTP-1)
- Upstream Operations Induction Program (UOIP)
- Program for Development of Ingenious Young Talent (PRODIGY)
UDTP Operation, Maintenance and Training
- BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma Process Diploma in oil and Gas Technology (Process): This program offers fundamental knowledge and exposure on maintenance, servicing and troubleshooting activities towards electrical equipment and system in real working environment at oil and gas industry.
- BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in oil and Gas Technology (Production): This program offers fundamental knowledge and exposure on overall plant start-up, shutdown and normal operation activities with process monitoring in real working environment at oil and gas industry.
- BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in oil and Gas Technology (Mechanical): This programme offers fundamental knowledge and exposure on design, operation, maintenance and inspection of mechanical equipments in real working environment at oil and gas industry.
UDTP Exploration & Production Training
- International Associate Drilling Contracted (IADC) WellSHARP: This program offers participants with the fundamental knowledge on the well control procedure or method, kick detection, causes of kick, and also be aware equipment which involve with well control.
- International well control forum (IWCF) well control: This program is part of the IWCF suite of well control courses and follows the IWCF syllabus.
- Gaslift Operation and Optimization: This program provides participants with knowledge and skills on operation, optimization and troubleshooting of gaslift well according to an industrial standard practices.
UDTP Process & Analytical Training
- Distillation and DCS Practice: This program provides participants with knowledge and hands-on experience in operating various distillation columns and actual plant connected to the DCS.
- Advanced Distillation: This program provides participants with knowledge and hands-on experience on Distillation and DCS operation.
- Waste Water Treatment System: This program provides participants with basic knowledge and skills on Wastewater Effluent Treatment including testing of related parameters as per DOE specifications.
UDTP Electrical Training
- IECEx Unit Ex 001: Unit Ex 001 provides participants with essential knowledge on basic principles of equipment protection in explosive atmosphere.
- IECEx Unit Ex 003: Unit Ex 003 provides participants with in-depth knowledge and skills to perform installation of explosion-protected equipment in explosive atmospheres in accordance to IEC 60079 Standards
- IECEx Unit Ex 007 and 008: Unit Ex 007 provides participants with in-depth knowledge and skills to perform inspection of explosion-protected equipment in explosive atmospheres. It covers the requirements as stipulated in IEC 60079 Standards.
UDTP Mechanical & Inspection Training
- Scaffolding Appreciation (Tubular Tube): This program provides participants with a working knowledge on scaffolding types and terminology. In addition, participants will acquire basic skills on erection, dismantling and inspection of tubular tubes scaffolding correctly and safely.
- Design, Operation, Maintenance and Inspection of Pumps: This program provides participants with knowledge on condition monitoring as well as maintenance practices, reporting and managing programs of rotating equipment to comply with oil & gas, marine, power plant and other industries.
- Design, Operation, Maintenance and Inspection of Compressor and Blower: This program provides participants with knowledge on condition monitoring as well as maintenance practices, reporting and managing programs of rotating equipment to comply with oil & gas, marine, power plant and other industries.
UDTP Instrumentation Training
- Honeywell EPKS Engineering & Maintenance: This program provides the fundamental knowledge and skills for operating and maintaining Honeywell EPKS system which identifies the major components of EPKS System Architecture
- Liquid & Gas Metering: This program provides basic understanding of liquid & gas metering system and its applications based on several metering installations in oil & gas industry
- Distributed Control System Operation: This program is designed to develop participants knowledge, skills and competence to perform the roles of a panel operator involving Distributed Control System (DCS).
UDTP Health Safety & Environment Training
- Authorized Entrant and Standby Person (AESP): The 2-day program provides participants with essential knowledge and skills for confined space activities according to Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA 1994) and Industry Code of Practice (ICOP 2010).
- Emergency Response Team (ERT): In this 2-days program, participants should be able to explain the technique in managing the emergency situation and apply in the organization.
- Working at Height (WAH): In this 2-day program, participants will be able to describe the regulatory and PETRONAS requirement on Working at Height.
Professional Development Programs
- Petroleum Engineering
- Civil/Structural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Instrumentation/Control Engineering
- Inspection & Material Engineering
- Plant/Facility Operations
- Production Planning
- Process/Utility Technology
- Plant/Process Improvement/Optimization
- Process/Engineering Design
- Technology/Product Support
- Project Management
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Static Equipment Inspection
- Rotary Equipment Inspection
- Fabrication & Inspection
- Process Operation
- Production Operation
- Health, Safety & Environment
Assessments and Certifications
- PETRONAS Competency-based Assessment System (PECAS)
- Competency Certification for Engineer and Driver in Steam Boiler or Internal Combustion Engine
- Authorized Entrant and Standby Person for Confined Space (AESP)
- Certified Environmental Professional in the Operation of Industrial Effluent Treatment System (Biological Processes) (CEPIETSO BP)
- Certified Environmental Professional in Scheduled Waste Management (CEPsWAM) - International Electrotechnical Commission
- IECEx Competency Training Programs
- Electrical Competent Person (Chargeman)
- Experiential & Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT)