Transportation and Logistics Education and Research in Malaysia
Malaysia University of Science and Technology (MUST) is a private university located in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia and is recognized by Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia since 2003. It is a comprehensive university offering programs at all levels, from Foundation Science to Diploma, Undergraduate (BSc and BBA), Masters and PhD. There are currently three schools: the School of Science and Engineering, the School of Business, and the School of Foundation and Pre-U Studies.
MUST began as a post-graduate research university in 2000, assisted by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Hence, its post-graduate research curriculum was structured to emulate MIT’s style of teaching and learning, with emphasis on meeting the demand of future industries and jobs. To deliver this education, MUST has built up a faculty consisting of graduates of leading universities in the world.
Today MUST has expanded to offer Undergraduate and Foundation programs in its School of Science and Engineering and Business School. Its postgraduate experience with the assistance of MIT sets the model for developing its Undergraduate and Foundation programs. Teaching and learning continue to be interactive, and the content of courses are guided by practical concerns. The curriculum is industry-oriented to ensure employability of graduates.
Graduates of MUST today work in leading corporations across the world, from the Middle East to China, Singapore and Australia. Many also work in major corporations and government organizations in Malaysia or have started their own business. Others have gone on to pursue PhDs in Malaysian universities as well as universities in Canada, Australia, and elsewhere. Malaysia University of Science and Technology (MUST) is a recognized institution by Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia since 2003.
- Diploma in Logistics and Freight Forwarding (2.5 years): The Diploma in Logistics and Freight Forwarding is designed as a dual-purpose program that prepares students for taking up exciting positions in the ever-expanding logistics and freight forwarding industry as well as continuing further studies by enrolling in degree programs in transportation, logistics, supply chain management or business administration.
- BSc in Transportation & Logistics (3 years): The program aims to produce professionals who are well equipped to analyze and solve problems in the Transportation and Logistics industry. Increasingly the Transportation and Logistics sector has made its mark upon all industries, and stands out as one aspect of industry that contributes innovative strategies that places an organization at its competitive edge in the role of globalization.
- Entry Requirements: Passed STPM with at least 2 Principals (Science and/or Mathematics subjects); OR A-Level or equivalent from a recognized institution by the Malaysian Government, with CGPA 2.0; OR Certificate of Matriculation or Foundation program from a Higher Education Institution which is recognized by the Malaysian Government; OR Passed Diploma program from a public or private universities, polytechnics, or other recognized institutions by the Malaysian Government; AND Fulfill the terms and conditions as may deemed suitable and acceptable by the respective program for the students to be qualified and accepted in MUST academic programs. English proficiency is also required
- MSc in Transportation and Logistics (Full-time 1.5-3 years, Part-time 2-4 years depending on the mode chosen):The Master of Science program in Transportation and Logistics offers an opportunity for recent graduates as well as working professionals to venture into the fast-growing and dynamic field of transportation and logistics. Students will be exposed to an array of subjects which will equip them with multiple skills to handle the increasingly complex and interdisciplinary nature of transportation and logistics issues. Students entering the program can come from any field but must be prepared to undergo rigorous training at MUST to acquire skills in systems design and optimization, economic analysis, statistical modeling and project evaluation in order to comprehend and solve problems in planning, designing, managing and operating complex transportation and logistics systems.
- Entry Requirements: Obtained at least a Second Upper Class hons degree or CGPA of 3.00 or above (on a 4-point scale) in a relevant field (or an equivalent qualification) from a university of acceptable standing, and recognized by the Malaysian Government. Applicants who do not meet the required minimum qualification but with some relevant working experience will also be considered. English proficiency is also required (IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and at least 6.0 on each individual component of the test etc.)
- PhD in Transportation and Logistics (2 years): The PhD program in Transportation and Logistics provides opportunities to students to conduct in-depth research in specialized areas while maintaining a reasonable breadth of knowledge in the dynamic field of transportation and logistics. This program also offers sufficient flexibility to students to develop their study and research that cross traditional disciplinary and departmental boundaries. This is necessary to tackle the increasingly inter-disciplinary nature of transportation and logistics issues and problems.
- Entry Requirements: Master of Science degree in a relevant field (or an equivalent qualification) from a university of acceptable standing, and recognized by the Malaysian Government. Candidates with a Master’s degree in other field may be accepted base on the assessment of MUST faculty members on the candidate’s proficiency in Transportation and Logistics. Applicants who do not meet the required minimum qualification but with some relevant working experience will also be considered. English proficiency is also required (IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and at least 6.0 on each individual component of the test etc.)
Last updated: March 21, 2017