Pick Your Language (Translate)
Marine Engineering; Marine Electrical and Electronics; Naval Architecture & Shipbuilding; and Maritime Operations Education & Training at UniKL MIMET in Lumut, Perak, Malasia
Established in 2004 and located at Lumut Perak, Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology (UniKL MIMET) offers maritime industry-specific programs as required by the local and international marine engineering industries. The campus is equipped with the latest advanced technological equipment complete with wharfs and ports to give the students vast and adequate opportunity to experience hands-on technical training.
The focus of UniKL MIMET was purely in the area of Marine Engineering Technology and the institute had taken the initiative to develop a program in Maritime Operations with the support from industrial experts representing government maritime law enforcement agency, shipping, seaport, and shipbuilding & ship repair industries.
Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), based in the heart of Malaysia’s capital and commerce area, is one of the country’s leading technical university. The vision is to become the premier entrepreneurial technical university in the country through excellence in research, education, training, entrepreneurship, consultancy and community services. Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) is a private university in Malaysia and conducts programs accredited by Malaysian Qualification Authority (MQA).
Academic & Training Programs
Bachelors Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons) in Marine Electrical & Electronics (4 years): Realizing the new requirement from the International Maritime Organizational (IMO) and vast array of the maritime sector that includes electrical and electronics services, the institute had taken the initiative to develop this program with the support from shipbuilding and ship repair industrial experts. This program is in tandem with the need of the nation to increasingly liberalize Marine Electrical and Electronics services that include ship communication, ship navigation, ship control & monitoring systems as well as ship weapons system.
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons) in Naval Architecture & Shipbuilding (4 years): The Naval Architecture and Shipbuilding program is designed to prepare graduates to enter the workforce with a sound background in Naval Architecture technology along with a range of practical skills ready for use on their first day of employment. The curriculum at UniKL MIMET is intended to provide students with a broad knowledge of shipbuilding engineering, to develop creativity and analytical skills through study of subjects in the areas of Mathematics, comprehensive mechanics, design theory, and interdisciplinary theories of mechanical and computerized engineering knowledge.
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons) Marine Engineering (4 years): The objectives of the program is to produce professionals, competent in the field of marine engineering technology to meet the current and future demand of the marine and its related industries in Malaysia as well as abroad; and, train and develop technical entrepreneurs in the various sectors of the marine industry.
- Bachelor of Maritime Operations (Hons) (4 years): Maritime operations involve activities concerning shipping and port operations, maritime law enforcement, marine safety and environmental management, shipyard operations, as well as maritime auxiliary services such as banking, insurance, and bunkering, shipping agencies, freight forwarding and consultancy services. Prospective undergraduates will be offered courses/ subjects in five sub-areas namely Maritime Transport Management, Seaport Operations, Maritime Law Enforcement, Business Management, as well as Marine Technology and Ocean Sciences.
- Diploma of Engineering Technology in Electrical and Electronics (Marine) (3 years): The objectives of the proposed program are to - produce professionals and highly skilled human capital specializing in Marine Electrical and Electronic to meet the current and future demand of marine related industries in country as well as overseas, and; train and develop technical entrepreneurs in the field of Marine Electrical and Electronic who are ready to participate in the related technopreneurial activities.
- Diploma of Engineering Technology in Marine Engineering (3 years): Graduates from the Marine Engineering program will have the opportunity to expand their career in various fields such as - Marine Engineering, Marine Survey, Automation and Control, and Hydraulics and Pneumatic Systems.
- Diploma of Engineering Technology in Ship Construction and Maintenance (3 years): Upon completion, the students will be able to - understand the major principles of ship and boat construction; work effectively in shipbuilding, engineering planning and scheduling activities; understand the rationale for combining a modern ship design with an efficient and effectiveness shipyard/boatyard manufacturing system; understand that construction is closely linked with efficient manufacturing processes; be aware of links between the ship/boat build plan and yard layout; have an opening knowledge of a method of work breakdown structure; and understand and apply standardized work practices.
- Diploma of Engineering Technology in Ship Design (3 years): Graduates of UniKL MIMET's ship design programmed will have the opportunity to expand their career in various fields such as - Metal Works & Fabrication, Naval Architecture, Technical Design/Draught Person, Shipwright, Hydraulics and Pneumatic Systems, CAD & CAM Programming, CASD Programming, and CNC Machining.
LAST UPDATED ON Nov 26, 2018