Change the Language
U.S. Coast Guard Approved Captains Lincenses, STCW Safety, Launch Tender, NASBLA Boating Safety & Other Marine Courses in Hyannis & Quincy, MA
New England Maritime has been on the cutting edge of maritime training since 1991 offering Captains License Courses, Boating Safety Courses, Launchtender Operator Classes and other licensing and skill building courses. The success of New England Maritime is a result of the knowledge and dedication of the instructors working with a fine-tuned curriculum based on years of experience.
A small student to instructor ratio allows the student to reach their full potential. New England Maritime courses are taught by USCG Licensed Masters who are USCG approved to teach the courses. New England Maritime is located Ocean Street in Hyannis, MA with a satellite location in Marina Bay, Quincy.
USCG Approved Captains Courses
- OUPV Charterboat Captain (6 Pack): The charter boat captains license (six pack), properly known as Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV), allows you to operate an uninspected passenger vessel with up to six paying passengers.
- OUPV Upgrade to Master 25/50/100 Ton License: The Masters license will have an Inland or Near Coastal designation based on the bodies of water where you have obtained your sea experience. Inland will allow you to operate inside the Boundary Line with paying passengers, and Near Coastal allows you to operate up to 200 miles from shore with paying passengers.
- Master 25/50/100 Ton License: The Masters license allows you to operate an inspected passenger vessel having a Certificate of Inspection (COI) stating the number of passengers and area of operation. This would typically include small ferries, sightseeing vessels, head boats, and launches at yacht clubs.
- Master 200 Ton License: The Masters license will have an Inland or Near Coastal designation based on the bodies of water where you have obtained your sea experience. Inland will allow you to operate inside the Boundary Line with paying passengers, and Near Coastal allows you to operate up to 200 miles from shore with paying passengers.
USCG Approved Limited Master (Launch Tender) License
- Limited Master (Launch Tender): The Limited Master license may be issued to applicants to be employed by a marina, yacht club, formal camp or educational institution allowing the licensed person to operate an inspected launch in a limited area.
- Limited OUPV (Launch Tender): Uninspected launches carry 6 or less passengers and only require the OUPV Limited License.
Boating Safety Courses
- Boating Safety: New England Maritime offers a NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Laws Administrators) Approved two-day Boating Safety Course. The course includes classroom instruction on the following topics: Rules of the Road, Aids to Navigation, Safe Boating Subjects, and State Regulations. Students successfully completing the course will receive a NASBLA Approved Boating Safety Certificate.
Other Courses and Tests
- Plotting Course (4 evenings): Learn the fundamentals of chart navigation (latitude and longitude, finding a fix) as well as coastal piloting techniques such as, dead reckoning, speed made good, course made good, cross bearing, and course to steer. Practice in the use of tide and current tables as well as several USCG publications throughout the course. Hands-on plotting using full size training charts.
- CPR / First Aid Course: This USCG Approved one-day course encompasses adult one-person CPR and basic first aid practices and meets the requirements for an Original Application for a USCG License.
- Able Seaman Home Study Kit: New England Maritime offers a home study kit to prepare for the Able Seaman exam. The kit contains books and software. The software contains Coast Guard questions and keeps your scores. This allows you to know when you are fully prepared to take the USCG exam. Kit will prepare you for Part 1, Part 2 and the Practical Knot Tying of the Able Seaman
- FCC Testing: Testing for FCC Licenses is offered during regular business hours by appointment.
- Assistance Towing (4 hours)
- Auxiliary Sail (4 hours)
- Ocean Endorsements for licenses through 1600 Ton Near Coastal
- Basic Safety Training Course (5 days)
- Basic Safety Training Refresher (3 days)
- Basic Fire Fighting (2 days)
- Personal Survival (1.5 days)
- Elementary First Aid (1 day)
- Personal Safety/Social Responsibility (0.5 day)
- Basic and Advanced Combined Firefighting (2 days)
Last updated: March 13, 2017