Shipwreck Science, Sailing, Maritime Simulator Training, Boatbuilding, Marine Diesel Engine Maintenance, USCG Licensing and More
Founded in 1998, the Bayfront Maritime Center (BMC) is a not-for-profit educational organization. The mission of the school is to design and implement unique, experiential, maritime-themed educational, recreational and vocational opportunities for the community in a universally accessible waterfront facility.
The school has worked with thousands of area youth and adults to create positive learning experiences through sailing, building boats, studying navigation, learning about the environment and having fun on beautiful Presque Isle Bay and Lake Erie.
As a community-based organization focused primarily on providing experiential maritime programming for area residents - mostly youth - BMC provides an assortment of educational programs that support the school’s efforts to maximize student achievement and personal development while encouraging them to become active participants in their own education.
- Lake Erie Shipwreck Science: The Shipwreck Science Program introduces the concepts, hands-on practice, equipment and excitement of scientific underwater exploration to participants, including school students, Erie residents, and tourists. The center will sail with twenty participants on the US Coast Guard inspected motor vessel Canadian Sailor for a three-hour voyage of discovery and adventure.
- Sail Training: Students can learn to sail aboard one of BMC’s many sailing vessels. Sail training programs build sailing and navigation skills while measurably improving teamwork and self confidence. Logical thinking, algebra and geometry are all vital in navigation and students will get a lesson in the physics of sailing while underway.
- Navigation Science: BMC offers courses in beginning, intermediate and advanced chart plotting and navigation.
- BC (MS)² Maritime Simulator Training: BMC has a 3D Maritime Training Simulator. Students can learn to pilot a vessel while navigating with radar and GPS on state of the art electronic charts. Students can get underway in all kinds of weather and current conditions, day or night on several type of vessels on the simulator.
- Boat Shop Projects: The boatbuilding curriculum is aligned with Pennsylvania Department of Education standards incorporating math, algebra, fractions, geometry and technology skills into our lessons. Traditional academics are enhanced by a host of soft skills including teamwork, disagreeing without fighting, reasoning, critical thinking, effective communication and problem solving.
- Bayfront Alternative Education Program (BAEP)
- Erie Adaptive Sailing Experience (EASE)
- Bayfront Summer Credit Recovery Program
- Sail Training
- Boat Shop Projects
- United States Coast Guard OUPV and Masters License Courses
- US Sailing Keelboat Certification Course
- Project VOYAGE
- Hands-on STEM Education
- Community Rowing
- Boat Building
- Plus more
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 14, 2017