Online & Classroom Boating Courses, and Practical Training for Recreational Boaters and Enthusiasts in the U.S.
Founded in 1966, Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) has been looking after the interests of recreational boaters. BoatUS is Unites States’ largest organization of recreational boat owners, with over half a million dues-paying Members. BoatUS provide a diverse offering of marine services for the recreational boater including - insuring boats, operating the largest on the water towing fleet - TowBoatUS, representing boaters' interests, providing financing for boat-buyers, creating quality boat graphics and lettering, publishing the widely circulated boating publication - BoatUS Magazine, act as a mediator through the Consumer Protection Bureau and more.
Since 1984 and hq at Annapolis Maine, the BoatUS Foundation has been providing the Course line as a free service to boaters, supplying information on boating safety courses offered around the nation. The Foundation provides educational outreach directly to boaters and supports partner organizations in the U.S. The BoatUS Foundation is a national nonprofit organization and its work is primarily funded by grants and individual donations.
BoatUS Courses Online
- Free Boating Safety Course (4-6 hours): This course is recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard, approved by NASBLA and most of the state boating license agencies.
- Propane Systems on Your Boat (2 hours): The interactive online seminar gives you the tools you need to use propane fuel safely on the water.
- AIS for Boaters (2 hours): AIS can identify potential dangers and provide you with a direct way to make decisions on the water and many AIS systems provide your boat’s information to other boats so that they may also make better decisions. If you have considered adding AIS to your boat, this seminar help you make the right choice.
- How to Use GPS (2 hours): This course will walk you through the basics of how your Marine Chartplotting GPS functions and teach you how to plot a course using charts, and waypoints.
- Sailing Lingo (30 min): Whether you want to take the first small step towards your dream of sailing the Seven Seas or you just want to understand what your friends are saying on your next sailboat outing, Sailing Lingo is the perfect way to get your feet wet.
- Modern Marine Navigation (2 hours): Whether you want to improve your navigational skills on your local waters, or you’re longing to cruise in foreign and exotic locations, Modern Marine Navigation will help you on your way to become a better boater.
- Planning Your Cruise (2 hours): The seminar will give you basic knowledge and skills necessary to prepare for your first voyage or, act as a refresher for more seasoned cruisers.
- All About Marine Radio (2 hours): This course will teach you how to choose the proper Marine VHF radio for your boating style and give you the confidence to operate it effectively.
- Hurricane Preparation for Boaters (2 hours): This seminar will teach you ways to protect your boat from the ravages of wind, waves, typhoons, torrential rain, tidal surges and high water. It will focus on developing a plan to ensure your preparedness and protect your boat from the onslaught of a hurricane, as well as providing a ton of info on how to stay safe.
- Boating On Rivers, Locks, and Lakes (2 hours): Learn about boating on American inland waterways.
- Weather for Boaters (3 hours): This course from the United States Power Squadrons course will help you to make an informed decision about weather to go or stay.
- Learn to Sail (3 hours): The Colgate Offshore Sailing School Learn to Sail online course starts with the sailing basics and takes you through the intermediate level.
- Crew at the Helm (3 hours): Crew at the Helm, from the US Power Squadrons (USPS), in partnership with the BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety, aims to acquaint the First Mate with basic skills he or she may need in an emergency.
- Clean Boating Course (1 hour): This free course will show you the simple steps you can take to reduce the impact boating activities on our waterways.
- Spill Prevention for Marina Staff (1-2 hours): This free course features videos, interactive exercises and interviews with spill responders, marina owners and managers.
- Classroom Courses
- On-Water Training
- Plus more..
LAST UPDATED ON August 1, 2018